Old 23-07-2006, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jack W

Default Silly Bradford Pear Tree

The
"sweet gum balls" can be annoying because their are thousands of them,
but I use the prickly balls in the flowerbeds on top of the
mulch--cats avoid my flower beds!

Oh man, I haven't seen a sweet gum ball since 1959. Friend's family
owned a shore in the midst of a sweet gum "forest" on the Patapsco.
Sweet gums apparently like moist soil. That's the only place I've
ever seen them.

Naturally, we spent the days in bathing suits and no shoes.

OUCH! Painful but pleasant memories from the distant past.
Old 23-07-2006, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

Jack W wrote:
The
"sweet gum balls" can be annoying because their are thousands of them,
but I use the prickly balls in the flowerbeds on top of the
mulch--cats avoid my flower beds!

Oh man, I haven't seen a sweet gum ball since 1959. Friend's family
owned a shore in the midst of a sweet gum "forest" on the Patapsco.
Sweet gums apparently like moist soil. That's the only place I've
ever seen them.

Naturally, we spent the days in bathing suits and no shoes.

OUCH! Painful but pleasant memories from the distant past.

You can have the one that grows in my neighbors yard and drops it's
"fruit" in my yard if you'll come and get it. Alternatively I can
arrange to send you a big box of the spiked balls next time I rake them.
Even the dog dislikes the damned things. BSEG

George