Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Gary Harper

Default Barking coming off Bradford Pear

I have a Bradford Pear tree in my yard with the trunk about 6" in diameter.
I have noticed that the bark is starting to seperate from the tree along the
bottom three feet. I can pull portions of it off easily by hand.. What
could be causing this and is there anything I can do to keep my tree from
dying?

Other than the peeling bark, the tree looks OK. It had plenty of leaves this
past year.

Gary

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
John T. Jarrett

I just noticed something similar but only a few inches in height of peeling
bark. The cambium (and all those other -ums) were also pulled back and
growing around the area.

Found a little bitty hole dug into the tree. I'd suggest you look for pin
holes going into the trunk where there is no bark and count yourself lucky
if you don't find any.

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com
"Gary Harper" wrote in message
I have a Bradford Pear tree in my yard with the trunk about 6" in

diameter.
I have noticed that the bark is starting to seperate from the tree along

the
bottom three feet. I can pull portions of it off easily by hand.. What
could be causing this and is there anything I can do to keep my tree from
dying?

Other than the peeling bark, the tree looks OK. It had plenty of leaves

this
past year.

Gary

Bradford Pear has offshoots all over User Example Texas 2 16-08-2005 12:49 AM
Bradford pear - suckers? [email protected] Gardening 3 02-05-2004 04:05 AM
Pruning a Bradford Pear Barry Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Bradford Pear Losing Bark Gary Harper Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Holes bored in a Bradford pear tree Lou Minatti Gardening 5 23-03-2003 03:08 PM