Old 13-08-2006, 07:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default White spots on pumpkin plant leaves

My pumpkins are developing roundish white spots, has the appearance of
residue from minerals in water, but appears to be spreading. Alas, I fear
mildew of some sort. Anyone know of a cure for this? I hate to loose these
plants - they have quite a few green pumpkins and are growing quite
vigorously.

Old 15-08-2006, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Matthew Reed wrote:
My pumpkins are developing roundish white spots, has the appearance of
residue from minerals in water, but appears to be spreading. Alas, I fear
mildew of some sort. Anyone know of a cure for this? I hate to loose these
plants - they have quite a few green pumpkins and are growing quite
vigorously.

My gourds have also got white spot on their leaves, they are in
containers on an 18 story balcony facing west. in spite of this they
appear healthy but still I worry when I don't know what is causing it.
I only use organic fertilizer... but the soil might be exhausted. They
are heavy feeders. Any expertise would help.
Thanks,
Jim
I have a photo but I don't know how to post it.

Old 15-08-2006, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
Matthew Reed wrote:
My pumpkins are developing roundish white spots, has the appearance of
residue from minerals in water, but appears to be spreading. Alas, I fear
mildew of some sort. Anyone know of a cure for this? I hate to loose
these
plants - they have quite a few green pumpkins and are growing quite
vigorously.

My pumpkins got it too. Looks like white powdery mildew. It came up on the
first leaves from the stem but after that it doesn't seem to have spread and
the fruit is developing just fine.

My gourds have also got white spot on their leaves, they are in
containers on an 18 story balcony facing west. in spite of this they
appear healthy but still I worry when I don't know what is causing it.
I only use organic fertilizer... but the soil might be exhausted. They
are heavy feeders. Any expertise would help.
Thanks,
Jim
I have a photo but I don't know how to post it.

You can post either from a personnel web-site, photo bucket
etc. to alt.binaries,pictures.gardens
Just let us know when you do and we can go there to view

Old 21-08-2006, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam writes:
My pumpkins are developing roundish white spots, has the appearance of
residue from minerals in water, but appears to be spreading. Alas, I fear
mildew of some sort. Anyone know of a cure for this? I hate to loose these
plants - they have quite a few green pumpkins and are growing quite
vigorously.

You don't make it clear whether these spots are on the pumpkin fruit
themselves, or on the leaves! I'll assume on the leaves.

Have you tried the milk spray for mildew? About 1 part full cream milk
+ 3 parts water. Shake well and spray all foliage thoroughly. Some
recipes include bicarb of soda too, but I don't know that it is
necessary.

No, I haven't tried this recipe as I have no space for zucchinis here.