Old 12-08-2006, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
CB CB is offline

Default foundation/slope question

I need some advice on how to cover the ground in front of my house. I want
to put brown gravel/small stones down, but it looks like I'm going to have
to build up the slope. I've attached some photos for you to see. It looks
like the rain water drips off my roof and has created this small drip line.
The ground near the bushes is just slightly higher than at the house
foundation. I"m trying to avoid having to dig out the dirt to slope the
ground away from the house. I"m wondering if you all think that building up
the ground close to my house would be a viable option, to create more slope.
Any ideas?
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clp7a/...toeVFBW0xBB4X4

Old 13-08-2006, 10:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
CB CB is offline

Thanks. Any suggestions on how I built up the ground by the house? With what
material? I absolutely love red twig dogwood. Any reason why I should choose
that particular plant? What should I do with the existing boxwood? Could I
incorporate the dogwood in with those or do you think it would look weird?
All suggestions welcome!
Thanks!

"readandpostrosie" wrote in message
i would BUILD UP the ground near the house and plant some red twig

dogwood.

Old 13-08-2006, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

I wonder if you could dig a small trench, not really deep, to steer the
water along the foundation and down away from it? If you lined it with
small river stone it might hold up for you. Other wise use French drain pipe
to do the same job.

--

Betsy

Old 14-08-2006, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Before anything else, install gutters and downspots with about a 10' run
away from the house. Then, you can build up the ground around the house
with soil and then top dress with anything you want. If you don't address
the constant erosion from dripping rain water, you'll continue to have
problems. Also, your siding will stay cleaner without the dirt being
constantly splashed on it from the dripping water.
TomC

CB wrote in article
I need some advice on how to cover the ground in front of my house. I

want
to put brown gravel/small stones down, but it looks like I'm going to

have
to build up the slope. I've attached some photos for you to see. It looks
like the rain water drips off my roof and has created this small drip

line.
The ground near the bushes is just slightly higher than at the house
foundation. I"m trying to avoid having to dig out the dirt to slope the
ground away from the house. I"m wondering if you all think that building

up
the ground close to my house would be a viable option, to create more

slope.
Any ideas?

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clp7a/...h&.tok=phtoeVF

BW0xBB4X4

Old 15-08-2006, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Well you defiantly need gutters or anything you plant there will get beat to
death.
I would add plenty of amendments and build it up some. I see you have a
somewhat
short foundation to your home and I don't know if you have a bad termite
problem in
VA. At any rate I wouldn't build the soil up to within 6-8 inches from the
siding just in
case of moisture/drainage problems causing rot.
Good luck,
Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b

Old 16-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Registered User

Smile

Elaine Well you defiantly need gutters or anything you plant there will get beat to

"CB" wrote in message
I need some advice on how to cover the ground in front of my house. I want
to put brown gravel/small stones down, but it looks like I'm going to have
to build up the slope. I've attached some photos for you to see. It looks
like the rain water drips off my roof and has created this small drip
line.
The ground near the bushes is just slightly higher than at the house
foundation. I"m trying to avoid having to dig out the dirt to slope the
ground away from the house. I"m wondering if you all think that building
up
the ground close to my house would be a viable option, to create more
slope.
Any ideas?
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clp7a/...toeVFBW0xBB4X4

i agree u do definitely need gutters and down piping that drip line is being caused by
the rain pouring down off your roof.
building the beds up isnt going to solve that problem all the work would be a lost cause.
good luck, sockiescat.