Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Shawn and Sarah

Default shade garden foundation plants

hi all,
I have been lurking around here for a while and am hoping that someone may
be able to make some suggestions. We have an area at the back of our yard
which is quite heavily shaded by three chinese elm trees and a privacy fence
and is currently barren of all plant forms. I am wanting to create a shade
garden in this area and already have an idea of shade loving perenials that
i can use. I would like to plant some shrubs/evergreens? as a backdrop. What
shrubs would thrive in these conditions?( I would like to use some of the
juniper shrubs but am doubtful that they would do well) We are in the texas
panhandle (zone 6B)and have alkaline clay soil though I have added a
considerable amount of compost and well rotted manure in preparation for
planting.
Any sugestions would be greatly welcomed
Sarah

Old 05-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Susan Fein

x-no-archive: yes

have an idea of shade loving perenials that
i can use. I would like to plant some shrubs/evergreens? as a backdrop. What
shrubs would thrive in these conditions?

Aucuba japonica, Mr. Goldstrike loves shade and will brighten it with the
bright yellow and green mottled leaves it has. I use this as a shady area
hedge; it should grow to 6'.

I also use skimmia japonica in a shady foundation bed. The bright red berries
most of the year against dark evergeen leaves are very pretty.

Susan
Old 05-04-2003, 05:56 PM
paghat

In article ,
ospam (Susan Fein) wrote:

x-no-archive: yes

have an idea of shade loving perenials that
i can use. I would like to plant some shrubs/evergreens? as a backdrop. What
shrubs would thrive in these conditions?

Aucuba japonica, Mr. Goldstrike loves shade and will brighten it with the
bright yellow and green mottled leaves it has. I use this as a shady area
hedge; it should grow to 6'.

Goldstrike is a male plant. There are many cultivars, & those which are
female produce large bright-bright red berries, if a male is present. So
to get the most out of this evergreen requires at least two. The negatives
for this shrub are it's a bit "much" at times -- big & overt with its
pokadot leaves -- & it's rather overly common. The plusses are the big
berries, something evergreen that LIKES the shade, & the spottiness puts a
bit of color in a dark corner.
http://www.paghat.com/aucuba.html

Another good choice would be evergreen huckleberry, Vaccinium ovatum:
http://www.paghat.com/huckleberry.html

For really tough areas of the garden that are perhaps outside easy
watering range, the best evergreen for drier shade is Oregon Grape
(Mahonia species). Four species are very commonly offered, plus a few
others occasionally, & several cultivars. Some are short, some are quite
large, so a broad range of choices. Bright yellow flowers, edible blue
berries. Here are M. aquifolium & M. repens:
http://www.paghat.com/oregongrape.html
http://www.paghat.com/oregongrape2.html

For TINY evergreens, wintergreen & lingonberries are ideal. Wintergreen
does well in deep shade, survives bright shade. Lingonberry prefers bright
shade to berry well (edible!) but will also do well in deep shade though
berrying less well.
http://www.paghat.com/wintergreen.html
http://www.paghat.com/lingonberry.html

But there's more "seasonal" interest in deciduous shrubs & should really
select a few things for the beauty of their winter form. Evergreens can
sometmies seem just a little passive after a while. A great deciduous
choice would be Snowberry, which keeps its fat white berries into winter
dangling along twiggy leafless branches; it releafs with two distinct
leaves (loabed & unloabed) on the same bush; & it has lovely bell-flowers:
http://www.paghat.com/snowberry.html
Similarly some of the deciduous huckleberries if selected for the form of
their branches are going to be SO interesting as they go through seasonal
changes & they're no less beautiful in winter. It's perhaps greatest to
look into what one's local native garden-worthy wild shrubs are, & who
find who specializes in native plants. There are vacciniums local to just
about every region in the USA, some for bright sun, but many for bright to
deep shade. Many of them are not in wide distribution to the nursery
trade, so are rare plants outside their zones, meaning they can be
something unique for the garden that is locally personal. Choice plants
can be had by becoming involved in local Native Plant Societies which have
annual sales & loads of advice, & as a generality are very aware of
ecological safeguards so that not many of 'em are crooks sneaking into
national parks for their stock.

-paghat the ratgirl

I also use skimmia japonica in a shady foundation bed. The bright red

berries
most of the year against dark evergeen leaves are very pretty.

Susan

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 06-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Shawn and Sarah

thank you for your replies
Just hope Lowes or Home Depot can obligue!!!!!!!
Sarah
paghat wrote in message
news

x-no-archive: yes

Old 07-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Penny Morgan

Up against the fence or as a backdrop, you could use rhododendrons or
azaleas, camellias and gardenias. You could also use hydrangeas, cleyera,
or mahonia. These are all shrubs or bushes that do well in shady spots. In
front of those you could use holly ferns, soft shield ferns, autumn ferns,
japanese painted ferns, shaggy shield ferns, cinnamon ferns, or tassel
ferns. You can also mix in some different hosta. There are a ton of
different varieties in all sizes and colors. Smaller groundcover plants
include lamium, vinca, pachysandra, ivy, ajuga, liriope, and mondo grass. I
also like bergenia for it's winter bronze color on the leaves. It also gets
bright green in summer and shoots up flowers and new babies that can be
divided into new plants. You can also use purple or green oxalis
(shamrocks), lily of the valley, carex grass, helleborus, heuchera, or
astilbe.

I don't know if Juniper would do well in that area. I looked in one of my
local nursery catalogs and it shows all juniperus as being in full to part
sun to do well. If you would do a search on google or yahoo and look up the
names of the plants/shrubs I've listed, you can probably get some pictures
and descriptions of them. Planting ferns in groups of three or five and
then doing a group of hosta looks absolutely gorgeous. I'm currently
planting japanese painted ferns, holly ferns, and soft shield ferns around
some hosta that were already in place on the north side of my house and it
already looks beautiful. Once they fill in, it will look like a tropical
garden. I'm also planting some ajuga on the edges. One favorite in shade
is the Lamium with it's frosty leaves and puffy little flowers. I use
Beacon Silver and it spreads very quickly and hugs the ground. I hope I've
helped you in some selections. Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b- North Carolina