Old 20-08-2006, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomatoes aren't ripening

FamilyNet International Newsgate

If you are here in eastern Massachusetts, you are not alone.
I just got my first pickable this week. Normally I would be
picking some from planting set in Paul Revere Day by 4th July

Most of us here abouts are later thab usual due to the cloudy
rainy period this spring,

Stay young, OldAck

MSFrom: "Mike S."

MSI'm a beginner at growing tomatoes. I've a few plants growing outside
MSin 5 gallon pots - one plant per pot. It seems to me that they should
MShave ripened already.

MSThe plant with the most tomatoes is the Patio one. I saw the first
MStomato on it about a month ago. I planted the plant about 7 weeks ago
MSbut I had bought it at a nursery after it already started growing.
MSThere are several tomatoes on it but they're all green still. Today, a
MSlittle tomato fell off while I was trying to fix it after some vines
MSstarted drooping after some heavy rains the other day.

MSThe other two plants are Big Boy and Better Boy. Neither of them are
MSdoing much. They each have about two small tomatoes on them. They're
MSabout the size of two cherry tomatoes (I think). I bought and planted
MSthem the same time as the Patio one.

MSThe weather around here has been a bit unsettled. First we were in a
MSdrought, now we've had a lot of rain and some areas have had flooding.
MSThe temp. has been mostly in the 80s and lower 90s. The past few nights
MShave been cool though. One week, there was lots of rain and little
MSsunshine. Somewhat unusual summer weather for around here.

MSThe plants are in pots that are sitting on wood blocks above the
MSground. They have holes in the bottom for drainage and have been
MSmulched. The leaves develop yellowish spots on them and sometimes get
MSdried out and crumble. They get some liquid plant food once a week.
MSAbout 2 quarts between the three of them. It's hard for me to know when
MSto water them with this weather. Maybe they've been getting too much
MSwater and not enough sunshine. Or maybe they've been getting too much
MSnitrogen and not enough calcium. I don't know. I'm fairly certain they
MSdon't have any diseases or pests.

MSAny ideas?

MS--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
MS * Origin: http://groups.google.com (8:8/2003)
---
þ SLMR 2.1a þ A lady is a woman who makes a gentleman act like one.

FamilyNet Internet Gated Mail
http://www.familynet-international.org