Old 21-08-2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pitchfork for grass clippings?

What tool do I need to load a pile of grass clippings (left by scything
the lawn ; you get a pile maybe a foot high and a couple feet wide
running down the left side of a 10' swath you cut across the lawn) onto
a makeshift hay wagon, for carting into the back woods, where a
pile of lawn clippings is growing (how big will it get?)?

I've been using a garden rake, gathering into a huge pile and
then picking up a large armful with rake and remaining hand. But
it takes as long to cart away the grass clippings as it does to scythe
the swath in the first place, using this procedure.

Maybe there's a pitchfork that will work with grass clippings?
(The clippings are typically longer than a lawnmower leaves, but
certainly not hay-length.)

--
Ron Hardin

Old 21-08-2006, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ron Hardin wrote:
What tool do I need to load a pile of grass clippings (left by scything
the lawn ; you get a pile maybe a foot high and a couple feet wide
running down the left side of a 10' swath you cut across the lawn) onto
a makeshift hay wagon, for carting into the back woods, where a
pile of lawn clippings is growing (how big will it get?)?

I've been using a garden rake, gathering into a huge pile and
then picking up a large armful with rake and remaining hand. But
it takes as long to cart away the grass clippings as it does to scythe
the swath in the first place, using this procedure.

Maybe there's a pitchfork that will work with grass clippings?
(The clippings are typically longer than a lawnmower leaves, but
certainly not hay-length.)

I have a cottonseed fork (wide pitchfork, 10 or 12 tines, short "D"
handle) that works great for compost, grass clippings, etc. I think
they are also called silage forks. They are kind of heavy.

You could also use a manure fork. They have closer tines than a hay fork.

Have you tried using a regular 4-time hay fork? A lot will probably
fall though, but depending on how tightly the clippings are packed you
should get most of it very quickly and then you can rake it again.

Bob
Old 22-08-2006, 11:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Ron Hardin wrote:
[...]

I recommend a 5 or 6 tine long-handle fork. Don't get one that's too heavy.
_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7

Old 22-08-2006, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob hob is offline

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
What tool do I need to load a pile of grass clippings (left by scything
the lawn ; you get a pile maybe a foot high and a couple feet wide
running down the left side of a 10' swath you cut across the lawn) onto
a makeshift hay wagon, for carting into the back woods, where a
pile of lawn clippings is growing (how big will it get?)?

I've been using a garden rake, gathering into a huge pile and
then picking up a large armful with rake and remaining hand. But
it takes as long to cart away the grass clippings as it does to scythe
the swath in the first place, using this procedure.

Maybe there's a pitchfork that will work with grass clippings?
(The clippings are typically longer than a lawnmower leaves, but
certainly not hay-length.)

Outside of the garden fork (wide tines), ya got cher thrash-nmachine spiking
fork (three wide-spaced tines), yer hay fork (four tines wide space), yer
silage fork ( six-8 tiunes closer spaced), yer manure fork (a lot -like 12
or so -tines closely spaced), and probably a couple others I have never had
the opportunity to experience.

Since you cut your lawn with a scythe, I would say that by the time you are
done experimenting around, you will have picked up a couple forks.

The stuff stays on the fork because it holds itself together, and the clump
just rests on the tines.

So... if it is lawn clippings or like length fiber, I would check out a
silage fork. Silage (fermented chopped corn, long-grass, etc.) is close to
lawn clippings.

--
Ron Hardin

Old 03-09-2006, 07:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

hob wrote:

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message

[...]

I use a horse-stall cleaning fork for this sort of thing and it is
terrific. You can find them in the horse-equipment section of your local
Agway or wherever. They have plastic tines that are set at just the
right angle so that you don't have to bend over to scoop up whatever it
is you want to move. They are also lightweight. I used to use a
multi-tine manure fork for stall cleaning and moving piles of straw,
grass clippings, etc, but this tool is worlds better. There are a couple
of brands; one is called "Wonder Fork".

[IMG] code is On

Grass clippings as mulch? Sam United Kingdom 4 19-05-2004 10:15 PM
Grass clippings John DeBoo Gardening 9 15-08-2003 06:07 AM
Leave grass clippings on site? (not composting this year) pgh Gardening 3 17-04-2003 01:32 PM
Grass Clippings Paul Smart Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Grass Clippings Paul Smart Australia 7 29-03-2003 04:32 PM