Old 24-08-2006, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Quick Growing Ground Cover

I live in Cincinnati Ohio and my front lawn is mostly shady and
not worth doing anything fancy with. What I would like to do is plant
a fast growing ground cover (something that I could plant now and
establish before the winter begins) that does not require a lot of
attention. I would prefer to plant something other than ground ivy.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

Old 25-08-2006, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 24 Aug 2006 15:33:07 -0700, "
wrote:

I live in Cincinnati Ohio and my front lawn is mostly shady and
not worth doing anything fancy with. What I would like to do is plant
a fast growing ground cover (something that I could plant now and
establish before the winter begins) that does not require a lot of
attention. I would prefer to plant something other than ground ivy.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am about to put a combination of Dutch White Clover and Strawberry
Clover in my blueberry patch. No mowing and the bees will love it.

John
Old 25-08-2006, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Cincinnati Ohio and my front lawn is mostly shady and
not worth doing anything fancy with. What I would like to do is plant
a fast growing ground cover (something that I could plant now and
establish before the winter begins) that does not require a lot of
attention. I would prefer to plant something other than ground ivy.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I know alot of people who love creeping Juniper varieties but the amount of
shade in your yard may not be ideal.

--
Tara

Old 25-08-2006, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

I live in Cincinnati Ohio and my front lawn is mostly shady and
not worth doing anything fancy with. What I would like to do is plant
a fast growing ground cover

Hi. I'm a Master Gardener in Columbus, Ohio and I cannot think of any
ground cover that would be suitable for shade. I'm assuming you want
it to look like something other than a vacant lot in the winter, right?
Clover isn't going to work because it needs a lot of sun. I might
suggest planting some shade-tolerant low-growing evergreens around the
lawn, with something like sweet woodruff plugs in between. It still
wouldn't look so great in the winter, though. Have you thought of
mulch?

Please don't get ivy. It wouldn't grow very well in a deeply shady
condition and it's a foreign invader that provides very little in the
way of shelter or food for the wildlife. And your neighbors won't
thank you when it worms its way onto their lawns!

I hope that's some help.

Sparky Organic