Old 01-04-2012, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Quick-growing fence cover

We have a wire lattice fence about 3m high separating us
from the house next door in Italy (Tuscany).
Our neighbour used to be an artist,
and we quite liked looking into his studio, but he has moved
and we are now looking into the kitchen of a less interesting couple.

So we are looking for a quick growing plant or plants
that will cover the mesh reasonably well throughout the year.
If it has flowers that would be an added bonus.
We have a variegated ivy in another part of the small garden
which is very fast-growing, so that is a possibility.
SWMBO has vetoed Russian vine.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 01-04-2012, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Op 01-04-12 12:54, Timothy Murphy schreef:
So we are looking for a quick growing plant or plants
that will cover the mesh reasonably well throughout the year.

Polygonum?

Might be nice and grows very fast.

Groetjes uit Arft,

Dirk

--
D. Weber
Arft, Germany (50°23'N 07°05'E)
Old 01-04-2012, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/04/2012 11:54, Timothy Murphy wrote:
We have a wire lattice fence about 3m high separating us
from the house next door in Italy (Tuscany).
Our neighbour used to be an artist,
and we quite liked looking into his studio, but he has moved
and we are now looking into the kitchen of a less interesting couple.

So we are looking for a quick growing plant or plants
that will cover the mesh reasonably well throughout the year.
If it has flowers that would be an added bonus.
We have a variegated ivy in another part of the small garden
which is very fast-growing, so that is a possibility.
SWMBO has vetoed Russian vine.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

For something evergreen, try the Stauntonia, Holboellia, or
Trachelospermum range of climbers. Also, in Tuscany, I would think that
Clematis montana is more or less evergreen, and will soon rampage over
the fence. If not, try C. cirrhosa cultivars and/or C. armandii. C.
uncinata would also be worth a try.

Also look at the several evergreen or semi-evergreen honeysuckles.
Lonicera japonica "Halliana" will soon take over if it likes the situation.

--

Jeff
Old 02-04-2012, 08:25 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Weber[_2_] View Post
Op 01-04-12 12:54, Timothy Murphy schreef:
So we are looking for a quick growing plant or plants
that will cover the mesh reasonably well throughout the year.

Polygonum?
Isn't that Russian Vine? ;-)
__________________
Old 03-04-2012, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Apr 1, 11:54*am, Timothy Murphy wrote:
We have a wire lattice fence about 3m high separating us
from the house next door in Italy (Tuscany).
Our neighbour used to be an artist,
and we quite liked looking into his studio, but he has moved
and we are now looking into the kitchen of a less interesting couple.

So we are looking for a quick growing plant or plants
that will cover the mesh reasonably well throughout the year.
If it has flowers that would be an added bonus.
We have a variegated ivy in another part of the small garden
which is very fast-growing, so that is a possibility.
SWMBO has vetoed Russian vine.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

Passionfruit. Very fast, very pretty & large flowers, and lots of
fruit if you like them. Purple are strong, yellow are very mild. The
only downside is here they look tatty in winter, I dont know if they'd
be evergreen in Tuscany, I wouldnt be surprised.

NT