Old 02-09-2006, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Keeping deer out- A stream runs through it

I'm trying to keep deer out of my back yard. I'll probably use a
combination of tall fences and low fences depending on the area. But
the real dilemma is that I have a small stream (about 10' wide and
usually only 12-18" deep) running through the back of my property. Due
to erosion through the years, it goes in a very short distance a 1 foot
bank to a 5 foot bank. On the far side is a wooded area.I would like to
include the area on the house side of the stream in the deer free area.

Question is: What could extend over the stream (and down) that would
keep the deer from using it as a passageway? Whatever it is can't be
obtrusive and shouldn't catch the debris floating down the stream.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob hob is offline

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to keep deer out of my back yard. I'll probably use a
combination of tall fences and low fences depending on the area. But
the real dilemma is that I have a small stream (about 10' wide and
usually only 12-18" deep) running through the back of my property. Due
to erosion through the years, it goes in a very short distance a 1 foot
bank to a 5 foot bank. On the far side is a wooded area.I would like to
include the area on the house side of the stream in the deer free area.

Question is: What could extend over the stream (and down) that would
keep the deer from using it as a passageway? Whatever it is can't be
obtrusive and shouldn't catch the debris floating down the stream.

Ideas?

Pet-level electric fence works great on deer.

Thanks.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to keep deer out of my back yard. I'll probably use a
combination of tall fences and low fences depending on the area. But
the real dilemma is that I have a small stream (about 10' wide and
usually only 12-18" deep) running through the back of my property. Due
to erosion through the years, it goes in a very short distance a 1 foot
bank to a 5 foot bank. On the far side is a wooded area.I would like to
include the area on the house side of the stream in the deer free area.

Question is: What could extend over the stream (and down) that would
keep the deer from using it as a passageway? Whatever it is can't be
obtrusive and shouldn't catch the debris floating down the stream.

Ideas?

Thanks.

I have no experience of deer but keeping out (in) cattle in this situation
is very hard. Anything that is tight enough to contain the beasts is also
likely to contain floating debris. In the case where the creek or river
changes level very much, such as periodic flooding, it is pretty much
mission impossible as the water and debris will remove your fencing
regularly.

David

Old 03-09-2006, 12:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

I have no direct experience of this, but I am assured that the
following is a foolproof way to keep deer away.

Apparently they cannot stand the smell of male human urine (from
uncastrated men). I've heard that if you have a bunch of men over (to
watch a game?) and supply them with beer and then tell them to pee
around the boundaries at about waist height you won't see any deer
until the next heavy rain.

Depends on whether the neighbors would have a problem with this, I
guess.

I'd hate to see you fence that stream. It's like a highway for more
wildlife than you know.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Deer fencing mesh is sold in giant rolls, and small rolls. You can
adapt it to just about any configuration and the good part is that it
is virtually invisible. Take a look he

http://www.us-fence.com/