Old 24-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Shiva

Default Rose Re-runs

Just back from vacation, thinking about next spring's roses to see if
the activity of planning can keep me from ordering and planting this
fall. We do what we can.

Since I've lost a bunch of roses this year, my mind naturally turned
to those roses I or other agents such as winter or voles have killed
that I must try again. Below is the list so far, beginning with the
one I want the most, with cause of death following:

Joyfulness--ownroot Michael's, only rose I ever lost to winter. It was
too young and I got it into the ground too late, which did not help.
WONDERFUL peachy HT with good fragrance.

Europeana--grafted Edmunds, vole chow TWICE. This really IS the best
red floribunda, even though I never could smell the scent others said
was there. Stayed in bloom, no kidding, and is a bright, clear, medium
red. Love it so much I'm thinking a whole row in the front bed, what
an eyecatcher. It works as a cut rose too.

Granada--grafted Weeks--this was a good performer. I want more grafted
versions because my two very healthy Roses Unlimited ownroots are
starting very, very slowly.

Anyone else planning to order reruns?

Old 24-07-2003, 09:32 PM
dave weil

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:04:26 GMT, (Shiva) wrote:

[...]

Not exactly a rerun, but an addition.

Yep, it's Belami! Pink as the day is long, scented like soft talc, and
a prolific bloomer, I liked my first one so much, that I started a
bush using 3 plants (all of this is old news). I'm trying to end up
with something that looks a bit like my Aloha used to, before it
started losing its bushiness.

Anyway, the little suckers are really budding like a storm. If this is
any indication, I might end up with hundreds of blooms next year.
Right now, between the three plants, I've got 35 buds or blooms.

The downside to Belami the first year, other than the color Shiva, is
the fact that the blooms are about 1/2 the size that they'll be next
year.

Anyway, here are the shots. I just couldn't pass up the chance to show
how these bare roots that were planted after Memorial Day are doing:

http://mywpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/BelamiToday.jpg

You can only see two of the three bushes in this shot.

http://mywpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/BelamiToday1.jpg

For some reason, I can't get this picture to post. But I'm leaving it
up anyway, in case it's a temporary problem.

http://mywpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/BelamiToday2.jpg

I'm hoping that in 3 years, I'll have about a 6X6 round bush loaded
with fragrant blooms.
Old 24-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Theo Asir

Granada--grafted Weeks--this was a good performer. I want more grafted
versions because my two very healthy Roses Unlimited ownroots are
starting very, very slowly.

Granada?

My May planted Granada (own root Sam Kedem)
is now a 3' foot shrub putting out atleast 5-6 blooms
every week.

I mention this cos it really surprised me
being a hybrid tea and all, its growing in
morning sun afternoon shade spot too.

Let me se if I can't get a pic.

--
Theo in Zone 5