Old 17-09-2006, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bagged a possum...

Well, opossum actually since this is the US. These Havahart traps work
but I wish it had worked on the targeted ground hog instead of this
'possum;

http://upload.pbase.com/eldata/image/66966183

What's amusing is that there are supposedly large fines in NJ for
relocating wild animals yet the police recommended that we just let it
go beside a river. One person at Animal Control suggested that we take
it to Mount something or another and let it go. Finally after much
calling and complaining they sent someone to dispose of it.

I asked the person who came for it what he was going to do with it and
he replied that standard procedure was to take it somewhere (probably
Mt. something or another) and just let it go, which he did free of
charge and brought back the trap.

Old 17-09-2006, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Well, opossum actually since this is the US. These Havahart traps work
but I wish it had worked on the targeted ground hog instead of this
'possum;

http://upload.pbase.com/eldata/image/66966183

What's amusing is that there are supposedly large fines in NJ for
relocating wild animals yet the police recommended that we just let it
go beside a river. One person at Animal Control suggested that we take
it to Mount something or another and let it go. Finally after much
calling and complaining they sent someone to dispose of it.

I asked the person who came for it what he was going to do with it and
he replied that standard procedure was to take it somewhere (probably
Mt. something or another) and just let it go, which he did free of
charge and brought back the trap.

Nice picture. Prompted me to upload this:
http://www.dol.net/~frank.logullo/thief.pdf
Frank

Old 18-09-2006, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

We don't care if there are animals of any sort in our yard, but for
the neighbor who is freaked out by snakes or any other living thing,
we've caught it and put it down by the creek. Water is vitally
important as food is close by if there is water.

Old 28-09-2006, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Well, opossum actually since this is the US. These Havahart traps work
but I wish it had worked on the targeted ground hog instead of this
'possum;

http://upload.pbase.com/eldata/image/66966183

What's amusing is that there are supposedly large fines in NJ for
relocating wild animals yet the police recommended that we just let it
go beside a river. One person at Animal Control suggested that we take
it to Mount something or another and let it go. Finally after much
calling and complaining they sent someone to dispose of it.

I asked the person who came for it what he was going to do with it and
he replied that standard procedure was to take it somewhere (probably
Mt. something or another) and just let it go, which he did free of
charge and brought back the trap.

I generally relocate nuisance animals to an upscale neighborhood. There's
more woods there anyway.

It's not as bad as it sounds, because a nuisance animal isn't necessarily
a nuisance any longer if he can't locate a garden in his new habitat. The
problem wasn't that he exists but that he found your garden.

--
Ron Hardin

Old 28-09-2006, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Incidentally, you can amuse yourself with a thought experiment : what
happens when you catch a skunk in your havaheart trap?

You can't exactly walk up and carry the cage to the car trunk.

I could envision hooking the cage with a pole, and pulling into a
cardboard box, shutting the box from the other end, and transporting
the skunk plus trap in the box.

But then what at the other end?

You open the box, and pow!

--
Ron Hardin

Old 29-09-2006, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:49:33 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

Incidentally, you can amuse yourself with a thought experiment : what
happens when you catch a skunk in your havaheart trap?

You can't exactly walk up and carry the cage to the car trunk.

I could envision hooking the cage with a pole, and pulling into a
cardboard box, shutting the box from the other end, and transporting
the skunk plus trap in the box.

But then what at the other end?

You open the box, and pow!

Before you put the Haveaheart out cover it with a cheap vinyl
tablecloth and affix it in some way to the cage. Face the opening
away from the direction you're approaching it, drop the front down to
now cover the entire thing and quietly move it.

The reason I never like moving wildlife is due to territory, or the
possibilities there are babies.

[IMG] code is On

"Bagged" phal - update Joe Orchids 1 23-10-2004 08:32 AM
"Bagged" phal - update Joe Orchids 0 22-10-2004 08:36 AM
Suitable bagged soil for fern Inge Jones United Kingdom 29 02-04-2004 04:19 AM
Another garden bandit bagged! Charles P Edible Gardening 18 29-06-2003 03:44 PM
another bagged rose tale, and question about Christian Dior sub-strains torgo Roses 0 16-03-2003 09:44 PM