Old 22-09-2006, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default coffee grounds?

i was told to surround the base of my clematis with coffee grounds?
is that a good thing?

thanks,
rosie

Old 23-09-2006, 09:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

"readandpostrosie" wrote in message
i was told to surround the base of my clematis with coffee grounds?
is that a good thing?

thanks,
rosie

I am not too sure about the needs of clematis but used coffee grounds are
very useful in the garden. They make a decent slow release fertiliser, add
organic matter to the soil and go ok as a mulch.

rob

Old 24-09-2006, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

I agree. George.com wrote:
"readandpostrosie" wrote in message
i was told to surround the base of my clematis with coffee grounds?
is that a good thing?

thanks,
rosie

I am not too sure about the needs of clematis but used coffee grounds are
very useful in the garden. They make a decent slow release fertiliser, add
organic matter to the soil and go ok as a mulch.

rob

If you're talking about asking for coffee grounds from restaurants, in
bulk, I'd let them compost before they were added around any plants,
clematis or roses. Better to put them in a compost pile or bucket to
break down if you're talking bulk. If you're only talking the grounds
from the daily coffee at home, you can distribute the grounds everywhere
like George suggested. They're good to aerate the soil, add some slight
nutrition to the health of the dirt. They're slightly acidic. And it's
better for not sending them to the landfill in the weekly garbage.

hope fall is being good to you. My sweet autumn clematis has now
finished and has started setting fuzzy seed heads. And the Jackmanii is
hopefully forgiving me for the brutal pruning when I tore the rotted
grapevine trellis out last fall. I have something way more sturdy and
permanent now for it to latch on and slug it out with the porcelain vine.
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee. zone 7, Sunset zone 36
Old 24-09-2006, 10:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

"BG" wrote in message
oups.com...

If you're talking about asking for coffee grounds from restaurants, in
bulk, I'd let them compost before they were added around any plants,
clematis or roses. Better to put them in a compost pile or bucket to
break down if you're talking bulk.

I have collected them from several coffee houses in town that make
coffee with organic beans - in a pinch I will collect from Starbuck's
---

My question is , why compost 1st?

I have many flower and garden beds and sprinkle on all of them all
growing season, incorporate it all winter and till it in in the spring
prior to planting... Compost it to ? Just wondering? I guess I am
slow composting them over winter, huh.. I have had some row crops get a
little "burned" by the top dressing.. but no other reactions except
when using these grounds there is a weird "mold" , "fungi " or
something that occassionally grows on the coffee grounds an top of them
on the ground (if that makes sense, think flat, on the ground,
mushroom) - does anyone know what this is? Is it OK ? Will hot
composting in a pile prevent this?

Its a mould or fungus, or something that occasionly grows on used coffee
grounds..

I experience that sometimes when bags are left unopened for a few days and
are slightly damp. I have also seen it on grounds on gardens I have top
dressed. I suspect this is the mould/fungi/something from the bag, not
actually from sitting in the garden.

A poster on some forum, not sure which one now, a few weeks back suggested
this mould/fungi/something can be toxic. Another poster poo pooed that idea
and accused the guy of being alarmist. I use grounds alot and haven't seen
any side effects from my plants.

Hot composting will get rid of any mould/fungi/something on used grounds as
the coffee is super heated and then breaks down in to humus.

rob

Old 24-09-2006, 11:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
Van Veen Nursery in Portland, Oregon, reported after using coffee grinds
from Starbucks Coffee House for about 18 months that they were very
satisfied with the results. 1) it helps to aerate their clay soil. 2)
slugs don't like to go through. (So you can see they have both mixed in
and put on top.) It does help to make the soil more acidic. But it does
not replace fertilizer.

eh, claims about the nutrient content of coffee grounds varies but from a
scan of test results/claims the npk varies around 1-3N/0.5-1P/1-2K. This is
consistent with most animal manure. Manure itself is not classified as a
fertiliser as it has low nutrient values per weight however it is used by
many in gardens and they never touch a high nutrient fertiliser. I would
contend that coffee grounds CAN be used as a fertiliser if used on a regular
feeding cycle and if the plants are not greedy feeders. It may be alternated
with other fertilisers but should not be discounted as being totally
inappropriate to use as a fertiliser.

rob

Old 24-09-2006, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Van Veen Nursery in Portland, Oregon, reported after using coffee grinds
from Starbucks Coffee House for about 18 months that they were very
satisfied with the results. 1) it helps to aerate their clay soil. 2)
slugs don't like to go through. (So you can see they have both mixed in
and put on top.) It does help to make the soil more acidic. But it does
not replace fertilizer.

They suspect that by making the soil more acidic you are actually
helping the uptake of magnesium. This in turn helps iron uptake and that
helps to make the plant green. So really you are starting a process not
fertilizing. Combine the coffee with horse mature and organic mulch and
watch the amount of fertilizer you use decrease dramatically. As for how
they apply it, when the plant is dry and just before it rains they
sprinkle it on and around. The rain takes it from there. Otherwise they
incorporate into the new beds. No exact rate just cover the top and work
it in. (Courtesy of Vicki at Van Veen Nursery)
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6
Old 24-09-2006, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

thanks mad....................it would just be from my coffee
pot............

the fall in wisconsin is starting its magic, and all my LOW BUSH CRANBERRY
(thanks group) bushes are red and beautiful!

Old 26-09-2006, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
BG BG is offline

[...]

Thanks to all !
Happy Fall!
BG - Boise,ID Zone 6

Old 26-09-2006, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
BG BG is offline

I experience that sometimes when bags are left unopened for a few days and
are slightly damp. I have also seen it on grounds on gardens I have top
dressed. I suspect this is the mould/fungi/something from the bag, not
actually from sitting in the garden.

********* I was hoping it wasn't the grounds or environment of my soil
that caused it !

I use grounds alot and haven't seen
any side effects from my plants.

********* None here either, was hoping that it was just a *whatever*
and nothing too toxic, my plants aren't affected by it at all. But it
happened with fall squash and I have yet to harvest, so I was a bit
concerned

Hot composting will get rid of any mould/fungi/something on used grounds as
the coffee is super heated and then breaks down in to humus.

Thought so... Thanks,
BG

Old 27-09-2006, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

"George.com" wrote in message

"BG" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

I don't think it's necessary to compost coffee. I compost a lot that I get
(about 15 pounds a day), but put a lot directly in my garden. Who says
composting destroys fungi? Fungi is part of the composting process. But
why is it necessarily bad? It may be somewhat unsightly, but that does't
make it bad.

Bottom line: coffee is great--compost it or put it directly in the garden,
or both.
--
_________________
John Henry Wheeler

Old 27-09-2006, 11:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Compostman" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote in message

"BG" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

I agree with you. The point I was making is that my experience with hot
composting is that the mould/fungus/whatever that may be on the grounds
prior to composting is not there after a nice warm roast. If the poster is
concerned about the mould a nice hot compost should take care of it.

rob

[IMG] code is On

coffee grounds from cold press coffee user Roses 4 01-05-2004 04:03 PM
Coffee grounds to keep out cats? Polar Edible Gardening 9 29-04-2003 11:56 AM
NPK of Coffee Grounds Ryunen Gardening 1 01-03-2003 05:27 AM
[IBC] Fw: Coffee grounds Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 22-02-2003 04:27 PM
Coffee grounds Theo Bonsai 0 22-02-2003 08:15 AM