Old 03-10-2006, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Catalpa Tree

When we in the temperate zones think of trees in bloom, we think of
apple trees, peaches and flowering crab trees. The thought of towering
forest giants in spectacular bloom that can be seen from a mile away
are only memories of visits to the tropics.

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Old 03-10-2006, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc

On 3 Oct 2006 07:47:02 -0700, "Jack Schmidling"
wrote:

When we in the temperate zones think of trees in bloom, we think of
apple trees, peaches and flowering crab trees. The thought of towering
forest giants in spectacular bloom that can be seen from a mile away
are only memories of visits to the tropics.

js

I think I am madly in love with both of you, and the three mutton
chops! We've considered homesteading and buying some alpaca's and
sheep. We very well may do it, but my husband is still only 46 and
has to work for about 10 more years to retire.

Your website is lovely.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:02 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc

Jangchub wrote:

We've considered homesteading and buying some alpaca's and
sheep

We considered alpacas in addition to the "mutton chops" but much to our
surprise and contrary to the claims of "packers", they itch worse than
wool if one is sensitive to this.

I spun some yarn from an alpaca and Marilyn knitted herself a pair of
socks but can't wear them and had to give them to a friend. No such
problem with Merino and much less with coarse wool so, no point in an
alpaca for our needs.

We very well may do it, but my husband is still only 46 and
has to work for about 10 more years to retire.

I had the good fortune to be able to retire at 43 so I got a bit of a
jump on most men.

Your website is lovely.

Thanks,

js

Old 06-10-2006, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc

Those are beautiful pictures of the Catalpa tree Jack!. . .Also, I was
fascinated with your homemade soda pop section on your website. Looks
like fun!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 08-10-2006, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
ups.com...
When we in the temperate zones think of trees in bloom, we think of
apple trees, peaches and flowering crab trees. The thought of towering
forest giants in spectacular bloom that can be seen from a mile away
are only memories of visits to the tropics.

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

When I was growing up in Ohio, both the catalpa and the buckeye (and its
"cousin," the horse chestnut) would fit that description. The buckeye is
usually described as a medium-sized trees, but the older ones really do give
that towering impression.

MaryL

Old 09-10-2006, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc

Jack Schmidling wrote:
When we in the temperate zones think of trees in bloom, we think of
apple trees, peaches and flowering crab trees. The thought of towering
forest giants in spectacular bloom that can be seen from a mile away
are only memories of visits to the tropics.

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

WOW! I don't think I will ever look at the sky the sme again. Thank
you so much for sharing.
Was the "Hummingbird Moth" the same as a Phonix Moth? And what are
the giant white things that Marilyn is stand close to?
Were the galaxy shots enhanced in anyway?
Now I am going to send the site to friends to enjoy. Thank you again
for a great few minutes. Me at

[IMG] code is On

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Mystery Photo Jack Schmidling[_1_] Gardening 9 21-03-2007 06:15 PM
Catalpa tree question Joe Edible Gardening 2 28-08-2003 11:42 PM
catalpa tree Raleighgirl North Carolina 3 08-05-2003 10:32 PM
Catalpa tree bentcajungirl Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Catalpa tree bentcajungirl Lawns 6 06-04-2003 01:20 PM