Old 14-12-2006, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,sci.bio.botany,alt.permaculture

Default What is the best plant to grow in shade?

I advise you to plant: Hosta plantaginea, Aquilegia, Convallaria
majalis, Corydalis, Cimicifuga, Lathyrus, Luzula, Omphalodes verna,
Pachysandra terminalis, Polygonatum...

I love my firespike, tropical looking all summer - then cool red blooms!
Dies down with the freeze but comes back in spring.

Also, consider having the trees thinned and the crowns raised. It helped
my back yard a LOT.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Hello,
I don't know this plant very well, Odontonema didn't growing in yards
in Poland, maybe cause for he's small popularity? In Central Europe to
shade we recomend Hosta and Bergenia plants. They are evergreen so you
can enjoy this perrenial plants even when winter comes You wrote that
you wan't to plant some trees. Maybe good is Salix? This is a popular
inoculate on bole tree in Europe. Look for some fotos on google of
Salix caprea variety 'Kilmarnock' or 'Weeping Sally'. Sorry first: for
my English but I'm still learning this language and second: for this
latin names but I don't know how to say in english this species. This
is good opportunity to train

Post Scriptum I don't understand what do you mean with this changing
..not to .net?

Best regards, Ralf.

Old 14-12-2006, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,sci.bio.botany,alt.permaculture

RafcioS wrote:
CoreyWhite napisal(a):
I need to know, because all year I've had a garden bed I made between a
few trees in my yard. And nothing will grow. I didn't realize how
important the sun actually is. But is there anything I can grow in my
garden?

I advise you to plant: Hosta plantaginea, Aquilegia, Convallaria
majalis, Corydalis, Cimicifuga, Lathyrus, Luzula, Omphalodes verna,
Pachysandra terminalis, Polygonatum...

.... hellebores, ferns and lots of different ivys.

Old 14-12-2006, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,sci.bio.botany,alt.permaculture

You don't say where you live or what sort of plants you are looking for, but
in general, rainforest plants do well in the shade (unless it gets very cold
in your area).

Judanne

ups.com...

Old 15-12-2006, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,sci.bio.botany,alt.permaculture

RafcioS said:

Hello,
I don't know this plant very well, Odontonema didn't growing in yards
in Poland, maybe cause for he's small popularity?

More likely because it cannot take long, cold, dark winters. (It is one of
many attractive plants I can't grow where I live.)

Sorry first: for my English but I'm still learning this language

I admire you for learning English. You do it well enough to communicate.

and second: for this
latin names but I don't know how to say in english this species. This
is good opportunity to train

It would be much better if we all used the Latin names. English common
names are not always the same from one area to another and can be
confusing.

Post Scriptum I don't understand what do you mean with this changing
.not to .net?

The person making that post has altered his e-mail address to protect
him from spamming. Those are instructions for correcting the address.
I have similar instructions in my signature.

On topic:
I have Corydalis lutea, Geranium macrorrhizum, Polygonatum odoratum
'varigatum', various Hosta, and Epidmedium growing well in my very
shadiest areas. Also Uvularia grandiflora and Hepatica acutiloba, two
native Michigan plants.

The Corydalis is the longest blooming plant in my garden
every year, with flowers from early May through October always. This
year I had one plant still flowering on the first day of December!

(attributed to Don Marti)