Old 26-12-2006, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Christmas Bloomers

Coming out of the Lurker's Lair to present my annual list of
Christmas Bloomers:
Blooming on Christmas Day in Northern California, zone 9
Shrubs
Abutilon (Flowering Maple) this one blooms year round with lovely
flowers
that are loved by hummers. it blooms so continuously that its
difficult
to find a time to prune it back a little. Orange variety.
Camellias: Pink Perfection, Yuletide, and Kanjiro
Euryops its bright yellow daisies are a treat on a bleak winter day
Fatsia japonica (Japanese Aralia) about half of the flowers have become
berries already
Callistemon (Weeping Bottlebrush) another one that Anna's
Hummingbird loves. Red flowers.
Viburnum tinus This years crop of metallic blue berries plus the first
pinkish clusters of blooms, what a treat!
Vine: Solanum jasminoides, Potato Vine. In addition to flowers, it
provides
a roosting place for the little White Crowned Sparrows.
Perennials
Violas/pansies
Gaillardia Another one that blooms "all the time"
Dianthus A little droopy from the rain, but still pretty
Salvia 'Hot Lips' another hummer plant
Malva 'Zebrina' a passalong plant so I am not sure of which Mallow it
it
Erica 'Furzey' a beautiful sight, in full bloom
Bidens
Wallflower (Cheiranthus and Erysimum Bowles Mauve) Just a few flowers
on each.
Primrose a blue one
Lantana some of the purple one are still going strong, hidden below
the Lavender which also has a few flowers left after the frosts
A few roses have some pretty sorry looking blooms, I cut the good ones
from Confetti
for my table centerpiece. An unknown Noisette and Iceberg still
look pretty good.

And one beautiful new, fresh flower on the strawberry Pink Panda.....a
little pink jewel.

Happy New Year and Great Gardens for 2007
Emilie

[IMG] code is On

Christmas Bloomers mleblanca Gardening 2 29-12-2010 10:31 PM
Christmas Bloomers mleblanca Gardening 6 31-12-2007 11:21 PM
Christmas bloomers mleblanca Gardening 6 02-01-2006 01:04 AM
Christmas bloomers MLEBLANCA Gardening 5 27-12-2004 09:38 PM
Christmas Eve Bloomers MLEBLANCA Gardening 7 25-12-2003 09:32 PM