Old 10-01-2007, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
BB BB is offline

Default Deciduous fruit and Freezing Temps

I have deciduous fruit trees that are dormant (Peach, apple, apricot). (As
they should be this time of year.) A couple have buds that haven't opened
(big surprise). We are supposed to get temps down into the mid- to upper
20's this weekend with very little possibility of snow.

Question is this: Do the trees need to be protected from such cold
temperatures?

-Bryan

* Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *
* Through the Trees? | Reply if you want. E-mail *
* Take it out! | address changes frequently *
* (Damn Viruses!) | to foil spambots. *
Old 11-01-2007, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

If this was March or April I'd say yes, but since it is still very
much in the winter months I'd say no. Apricots are a little cold
tender than peaches and apples, but all of these trees require a
certain length of chill hours to set fruit, anyway. Last year my
peach had a million flowers in spring, but didn't produce one peach
because it never got cold enough for the fruit to set.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

It would not hurt to put some mulch around the base of the tree, but not
touching
the trunks. The problem with these cold temperatures is the alternate freezing
and
thawing of the ground and it's affect on the roots, especially when the
temperatures
keep hovering around the freezing point. The mulch should help to even up the
temperature fluctuations, to some degree. You have to be careful to plant
varieties
of apples and stone fruits that are hearty for your climate zone. Most of these
trees
need a certain amount of chill hours and if the proper variety, can withstand
periods
of cold temperatures. They should be dormant, but as stated earlier, you don't
want
them to come out of dormancy only to be hit by freezing temperatures. Also, the

Winter sun can be quite strong, so tree guards can help keep the trunks from
burning
up, as well as keep the hungry critters at bay.

Sherwin D.

Old 13-01-2007, 08:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Where I am these trees do fine (-20oF for lows). In fact, apricots originate in
somewhere like Mongolia. it is spring if there is a sudden late frost that knocks
the petals off that is the problem.
Now there are low chill varieties and varieties for southern climates that may be
more sensitive. that I dunno
Ingrid

BB wrote:

I have deciduous fruit trees that are dormant (Peach, apple, apricot). (As
they should be this time of year.) A couple have buds that haven't opened
(big surprise). We are supposed to get temps down into the mid- to upper
20's this weekend with very little possibility of snow.

Question is this: Do the trees need to be protected from such cold
temperatures?

-Bryan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 14-01-2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
BB BB is offline

Thanks, Ingrid. That was pretty much what I was hoping for; practical
experience with these sorts of things.

So far this weekend, all trees look like they're doing fine. I'm also
reassured by the lack of news stories on how damaged these sorts of trees
aren't because of the cold. Citrus; now that's another matter entirely.
Growers are falling all over themselves to protect their fruit.

--Bryan

wrote in
: