Old 23-07-2014, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Freezing Soft Fruit

For years I've frozen the very soft fruits (raspberries &
loganberries in my case) directly after picking, without
washing, because it is so difficult to dry washed fruit
sufficiently to open freeze and have in loose form. We always
use it as cooked, so not too worried about the odd
frozen/cooked magot etc, but this year some of the fruit has
been visited by birds! I'm not that concerned and want to carry
on the way we always have, but swnbo is unhappy,

What do others do?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 24-07-2014, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger Tonkin wrote:

For years I've frozen the very soft fruits (raspberries &
loganberries in my case) directly after picking, without
washing, because it is so difficult to dry washed fruit
sufficiently to open freeze and have in loose form. We always
use it as cooked, so not too worried about the odd
frozen/cooked magot etc, but this year some of the fruit has
been visited by birds! I'm not that concerned and want to carry
on the way we always have, but swnbo is unhappy,

What do others do?

Just the same as you with no ill affectss as yet!

Peter

--
-
The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential
Old 24-07-2014, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 21:57:39 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

For years I've frozen the very soft fruits (raspberries &
loganberries in my case)

Definitely the best way, I then use it mainly for Jam, but also use
some to add too desserts.

use it as cooked, so not too worried about the odd
frozen/cooked magot etc

Did you spray just as the fruit begins to colour, against raspberry
beetle, its the only insectside I use in the garden, as half a maggot
is worse than a whole one :-(

OT for those of you who make jam, I discard any liqued from the
defrosted fruit, as this increases the flavour.

Old 24-07-2014, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/07/2014 21:57, Roger Tonkin wrote:

What do others do?

If you do wash them, then spread them on a tray(s) to freeze, then bag
them up. This stops them clumping.

--
regards andy

Old 24-07-2014, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/07/2014 09:55, News wrote:
On 23/07/2014 21:57, Roger Tonkin wrote:

What do others do?

If you do wash them, then spread them on a tray(s) to freeze, then bag
them up. This stops them clumping.

I have only ever frozen raspberries, I pick and freeze immediately, to
my mind they are as good frozen as fresh. Sadly this year is the first
for many a year when I have none. The last canes became diseased and had
to come out, the new ones are in their first year, so no fruit until
next year, can't wait.

Deciduous fruit and Freezing Temps BB Gardening 4 14-01-2007 10:05 PM
Moving Soft Fruit vsop United Kingdom 2 30-08-2004 05:39 PM
Soft fruit for two Chris United Kingdom 32 23-07-2003 02:34 PM
Soft fruit for two Chris United Kingdom 24 25-06-2003 08:20 PM
Soft fruit against a north dacing wall? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 03-03-2003 08:12 AM