Old 14-01-2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default African violet

I won this little plant at a luncheon at least two years ago. It's
very healthy; has the right kind and amount of light, but has never
blossomed since.

RX?

Thanks

Persephone
Old 14-01-2007, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 11:25:57 -0800, Persephone wrote:

I won this little plant at a luncheon at least two years ago. It's
very healthy; has the right kind and amount of light, but has never
blossomed since.

RX?

Thanks

Persephone

If it hasn't been repotted, give a slightly larger pot using African
Violet potting soil. Examine the plant for mealy bugs or other
insects. Make sure it has drainage. Give it early morning sun or 2"
from fluorescent grow lights. You should see it blooming profusely in
a few weeks. Give it regular AF feedings.
Old 14-01-2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote in
:

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 11:25:57 -0800, Persephone wrote:

I won this little plant at a luncheon at least two years ago. It's
very healthy; has the right kind and amount of light, but has never
blossomed since.

RX?

Thanks

Persephone

If it hasn't been repotted, give a slightly larger pot using African
Violet potting soil. Examine the plant for mealy bugs or other
insects. Make sure it has drainage. Give it early morning sun or 2"
from fluorescent grow lights. You should see it blooming profusely in
a few weeks. Give it regular AF feedings.

You can also remove a ring or two of outter leaves if it is very large.
The blossums come with NEW leaf growth at the crown. The way to promote
new growth is to remove old growth.
Old 16-01-2007, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:04:05 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 11:25:57 -0800, Persephone wrote:

I won this little plant at a luncheon at least two years ago. It's
very healthy; has the right kind and amount of light, but has never
blossomed since.

RX?

Thanks

Persephone

If it hasn't been repotted, give a slightly larger pot using African
Violet potting soil. Examine the plant for mealy bugs or other
insects. Make sure it has drainage. Give it early morning sun or 2"
from fluorescent grow lights. You should see it blooming profusely in
a few weeks. Give it regular AF feedings.

Thanks for detailed recommendations.

Brings up a number of questions:

1. Why is early morning sun better than other exposures?

2. What is "AF feedings"?

Thanks

Persephone

Old 17-01-2007, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:04:58 -0800, Persephone wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:04:05 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 11:25:57 -0800, Persephone wrote:

I won this little plant at a luncheon at least two years ago. It's
very healthy; has the right kind and amount of light, but has never
blossomed since.

RX?

Thanks

Persephone

If it hasn't been repotted, give a slightly larger pot using African
Violet potting soil. Examine the plant for mealy bugs or other
insects. Make sure it has drainage. Give it early morning sun or 2"
from fluorescent grow lights. You should see it blooming profusely in
a few weeks. Give it regular AF feedings.

Thanks for detailed recommendations.

Brings up a number of questions:

1. Why is early morning sun better than other exposures?

Morning sun won't burn AFs.

2. What is "AF feedings"?

African Violet (AF) food. For example Schultz makes a plant food
specifically formulated for AFs.

Thanks

Persephone

Old 13-05-2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:37:48 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

[...]

Hurray! About 1-1/2 months ago, plant put out beautiful violets.
It must have been the combination of early morning sun coming
in the back French doors, plus I put in some plant spikes.

I just LOVE it when something comes back to life!

Thanks for all the help!

Persephone
Old 15-05-2007, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 13 May 2007 13:47:33 -0700, Persephone wrote:

[...]

More light on AFs usually does the trick in getting them to bloom. An
east window is ideal. I use Shultz AF food, but mine did not bloom
until I gave them morning sun. AFs bloom exceptionally well under
fluorescent lighting.