Old 19-01-2007, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Square Foot Gardens

Hi,

Just wondered how many actually utilize a SFG?
Thanks

Old 20-01-2007, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bette wrote:
Hi,

Just wondered how many actually utilize a SFG?
Thanks

I used to have what you might call a square foot garden back when I had
limited space and didn't want to dig up my meager yard with a bunch of
dirt rows. I had a series of 2 ft x 2 ft squares, raised bed with wood
borders and wide grassy areas in-between. Grew some spices, tomatoes,
and peppers... called it my salsa garden. I've seen some people do
similar with paving bricks in the walkways. I prefer grass.

Now I own and live in a big commercial building with no yard but a
big flat roof, so I've turned to hydroponics and potted plants.
Tomatoes and peppers do great with hydroponics. Most of the spices
are better in pots.

Later,

Thad

Old 20-01-2007, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2007-01-18 20:03:14 -0500, "Bette" said:

Hi,

Just wondered how many actually utilize a SFG?
Thanks

I have been doing it for a number of years now. Works great.

Old 21-01-2007, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

I'm sure this method has been used for a long time.. I read a book on
this when i was in high school.. I'm in my 30's now & in VA.. I find
that it works very well in certain applications.. Certain plants work
well together and some don't.. Some plants I prefer to give them a
"lil'' more space...

Old 21-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I'm sure this method has been used for a long time.. I read a book on
this when i was in high school.. I'm in my 30's now & in VA.. I find
that it works very well in certain applications.. Certain plants work
well together and some don't.. Some plants I prefer to give them a
"lil'' more space...
Been doing the SFG thing for twenty years with 14 x 4 foot boxes. Minimun effort and maximum results. Highly recommended

Old 21-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis
Been doing the SFG thing for twenty years with 14 x 4 foot boxes. Minimun effort and maximum results. Highly recommended
I tried a similar thing last year, putting (literally not much more than a square foot) a herb section at the side of my lawn.

Result!

The neighbour's dog, who used to dig holes in my lawn found my chives much easier to dig out

Bummer!
Old 21-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Registered User

Hang on, this is a little 'un-PC'.