Old 01-02-2007, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rose Packaging

I bought several bare root rose plants from Wal Mart yesterday - im
not so sure whether the plant stock is good at Wal Mart... but ill
give it a shot... anyway the plants roots were packaged in sawdust,
which was wrapped in a plastic bag. The sawdust is soaking wet, so I
cut open the package to dry it out. Could someone tell me if the
sawdust is there to keep the roots dry, or moist??

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Beta 7
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Old 01-02-2007, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Hugh Jass" wrote in message
I bought several bare root rose plants from Wal Mart yesterday - im
not so sure whether the plant stock is good at Wal Mart... but ill
give it a shot... anyway the plants roots were packaged in sawdust,
which was wrapped in a plastic bag. The sawdust is soaking wet, so I
cut open the package to dry it out. Could someone tell me if the
sawdust is there to keep the roots dry, or moist??

Keep the roots moist but not sopping wet.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:37:02 -0600, Hugh Jass
) wrote:

I bought several bare root rose plants from Wal Mart yesterday - im
not so sure whether the plant stock is good at Wal Mart... but ill
give it a shot... anyway the plants roots were packaged in sawdust,
which was wrapped in a plastic bag. The sawdust is soaking wet, so I
cut open the package to dry it out. Could someone tell me if the
sawdust is there to keep the roots dry, or moist??

Moist, keep the roots moist, best to put them in a bucket of water for
a day or so before you plant them.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 1, 3:44 pm, "JohnS" wrote:
"Hugh Jass" wrote in message

I bought several bare root rose plants from Wal Mart yesterday - im
not so sure whether the plant stock is good at Wal Mart... but ill
give it a shot... anyway the plants roots were packaged in sawdust,
which was wrapped in a plastic bag. The sawdust is soaking wet, so I
cut open the package to dry it out. Could someone tell me if the
sawdust is there to keep the roots dry, or moist??

Keep the roots moist but not sopping wet.

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Beta 7
Web @http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

It is recommended to keep the bare root rose moist (even spraying the
canes occasionally) until planting. I've actually kept bare root roses
in water for well over a week without a problem: just don't let them
dry out!