Old 03-02-2007, 05:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is a "full spectrum" bulb the same as a "grow light"

What's the diff between a "full spectrum" bulb and a "grow light" aka
horticulture light? UV rays?

I want to buy a 9 watt compact flourescent grow light for my pothos
plant. That fits into a regular light socket. where could I get
that? 9 watts, small I know, it'll be right under the plant tho...

thanks

Old 03-02-2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 3, 12:39 am, wrote:
What's the diff between a "full spectrum" bulb and a "grow light" aka
horticulture light? UV rays?

So-called "grow lights" have higher
output in red and blue bands -- IOW, the
other bands have been turned down by
leaving out related phosphors.

I want to buy a 9 watt compact flourescent grow light for my pothos
plant. That fits into a regular light socket. where could I get
that? 9 watts, small I know, it'll be right under the plant tho...

thanks

Anything marked "cool white" is cheapest and
best.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 5, 3:35 pm, Alfred Falk wrote:
wrote in news:1170481169.247011.274390
@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

What's the diff between a "full spectrum" bulb and a "grow light" aka
horticulture light? UV rays?

I want to buy a 9 watt compact flourescent grow light for my pothos
plant. That fits into a regular light socket. where could I get
that? 9 watts, small I know, it'll be right under the plant tho...

Grow lights have their colours adjusted to make plants grow and bloom
better than the same total energy in "white" light.

Full spectrum lights are intended to simulate sunlight with respect to
proportion of different colours (wavelenghts).

Where a grow light would be devoid of green, the least useful
band from a plant's point of view.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 5, 6:10 pm, "Father Haskell" wrote:
On Feb 5, 3:35 pm, Alfred Falk wrote:

wrote in news:1170481169.247011.274390
@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

What's the diff between a "full spectrum" bulb and a "grow light" aka
horticulture light? UV rays?

I want to buy a 9 watt compact flourescent grow light for my pothos
plant. That fits into a regular light socket. where could I get
that? 9 watts, small I know, it'll be right under the plant tho...

Grow lights have their colours adjusted to make plants grow and bloom
better than the same total energy in "white" light.

Full spectrum lights are intended to simulate sunlight with respect to
proportion of different colours (wavelenghts).

Where a grow light would be devoid of green, the least useful
band from a plant's point of view.

but what about UV rays?

Old 06-02-2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 5, 6:47 pm, wrote:
On Feb 5, 6:10 pm, "Father Haskell" wrote:

On Feb 5, 3:35 pm, Alfred Falk wrote:

wrote in news:1170481169.247011.274390
@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

What's the diff between a "full spectrum" bulb and a "grow light" aka
horticulture light? UV rays?

I want to buy a 9 watt compact flourescent grow light for my pothos
plant. That fits into a regular light socket. where could I get
that? 9 watts, small I know, it'll be right under the plant tho...

Grow lights have their colours adjusted to make plants grow and bloom
better than the same total energy in "white" light.

Full spectrum lights are intended to simulate sunlight with respect to
proportion of different colours (wavelenghts).

Where a grow light would be devoid of green, the least useful
band from a plant's point of view.

but what about UV rays?

Should be none. All UV should be absorbed and reradiated at visible
wavelengths or absorbed by the tube's phosphors. UV serves a plant no
purpose, and in fact destroys living cells or damages their nucleii.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 5, 7:06 pm, "Father Haskell" wrote:
On Feb 5, 6:47 pm, wrote:

[...]

Awesome. Thanks, good to know.

thanks,
dt

Old 06-02-2007, 05:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Usenet2007@THE-
DOMAIN-IN.SIG says...
In article
.com,
says...

snip

UV serves a plant no
purpose, and in fact destroys living cells or damages their nucleii.

That's not quite correct, but I'll leave it to your Googling skills
to find out why.

I am imagining applying sunscreen lotion to a plant...

Heh.

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

stuff looks good under a grow light. but a plain old fluorescent has teh same
spectrum as sunlight, just not as intense or heavy in the red end. the
photosynthetic centers use mostly light in the blue and some in the red end.
save money and get cheapest and most intense. Ingrid
wrote:

What's the diff between a "full spectrum" bulb and a "grow light" aka
horticulture light? UV rays?

I want to buy a 9 watt compact flourescent grow light for my pothos
plant. That fits into a regular light socket. where could I get
that? 9 watts, small I know, it'll be right under the plant tho...

thanks

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 09-02-2007, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 2, 11:39 pm, wrote:
What's the diff between a "full spectrum" bulb and a "grow light" aka
horticulture light? UV rays?

I want to buy a 9 watt compact flourescent grow light for my pothos
plant. That fits into a regular light socket. where could I get
that? 9 watts, small I know, it'll be right under the plant tho...

No extra light is required to grow a Pothos. They thrive under
whatever light is available in the room. If you require lighting in
the room then by all means but if you are intalling lighting for a
Pothos, forget it.