Old 06-02-2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ants on Iris

Just went out to find I have precious little ants all over my Iris.
what is a safe wasy to get rid of them I also have chickens that room
and don't wish to poison them.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6 Feb 2007 11:40:22 -0800, "Shar" wrote:

Just went out to find I have precious little ants all over my Iris.
what is a safe wasy to get rid of them I also have chickens that room
and don't wish to poison them.

Um, why do you want to get rid of the ants? You can look this up as
it is a fact that, the largest population of insects found on the
planet are ants. There are trillions of trillions of ants. They
don't hurt anything and are always beneficial. Even fire ants are
beneficial if you've ever seen how those boys churn up rock hard soil
into loam.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 6, 12:54 pm, Jangchub wrote:
On 6 Feb 2007 11:40:22 -0800, "Shar" wrote:

Just went out to find I have precious little ants all over my Iris.
what is a safe wasy to get rid of them I also have chickens that room
and don't wish to poison them.

Um, why do you want to get rid of the ants? You can look this up as
it is a fact that, the largest population of insects found on the
planet are ants. There are trillions of trillions of ants. They
don't hurt anything and are always beneficial. Even fire ants are
beneficial if you've ever seen how those boys churn up rock hard soil
into loam.

Thanks for the come back. I have been told that ants bring aphids
where can I look this up. Thanks

Old 06-02-2007, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6 Feb 2007 15:29:57 -0800, "Shar" wrote:

On Feb 6, 12:54 pm, Jangchub wrote:
On 6 Feb 2007 11:40:22 -0800, "Shar" wrote:

Just went out to find I have precious little ants all over my Iris.
what is a safe wasy to get rid of them I also have chickens that room
and don't wish to poison them.

Um, why do you want to get rid of the ants? You can look this up as
it is a fact that, the largest population of insects found on the
planet are ants. There are trillions of trillions of ants. They
don't hurt anything and are always beneficial. Even fire ants are
beneficial if you've ever seen how those boys churn up rock hard soil
into loam.

Thanks for the come back. I have been told that ants bring aphids
where can I look this up. Thanks

It's the other way around. Aphids exhude a sugary liquid as their
excrement and the ants eat those drops of liquid as soon as it comes
out of the aphid tushie.

You're on the Internet. The world is at your hand. Try
www.google.com
Old 07-02-2007, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks for the come back. I have been told that ants bring aphids
where can I look this up. Thanks

They don't bring the aphids and once the aphids are there they come to milk
them for the honeydrew they make which the ants feed on and Iris are well
known food for aphids. I use good old dawn dish soap in water the dump on
the iris to get rid of them in my garden every spring when they show up.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info