Old 18-04-2003, 09:56 PM
delirium

Default lamium invasive?

Do I dare? I purchased a Lamium Maculatum 'Pink Pewter' at my local big
box store this afternoon. The information I have been able to find lists
it as good for a groundcover in shady areas, but possibly invasive under
the right conditions. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to regret
planting this. The projected area is quite shady and is comprised of a
thin layer of good soil over clay. Not what I would describe as ideal
conditions. If this plant does go overboard, how tough will it be to trim
back? Are there runners? Does anyone have personal experience with this
plant going rogue? My other choice is to put this in a hanging basket.

Thanks, Jenn

Zone 7, Raleigh, NC
Old 19-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Penny Morgan

I think you'll be very pleased with the lamium in a shady or part shade
spot. It spreads slowly with the branches extending and rooting as it goes.
It is not invasive at all. I had the richest soil/compost beds and it
spread about 5 ft. in diameter eventually after about 5 years. It's one of
my favorite shade groundcovers. I just drew a plan and planted beds for our
subdivision entrance using Palace Purple Heuchera, Beacon Silver Lamium,
Carissa Hollies, Lionsville Arborvitaes, Acorus Ogon Grass, Variegated
Liriope, Deep Red Caladiums, Red and Pink Hypoestes, and some Picadilly
Helleborus. Absolutely gorgeous!

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 19-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Penny S.

delirium wrote:
Do I dare? I purchased a Lamium Maculatum 'Pink Pewter' at my local
big box store this afternoon. The information I have been able to
find lists it as good for a groundcover in shady areas, but possibly
invasive under the right conditions. I'm trying to decide if I'm
going to regret planting this. The projected area is quite shady and
is comprised of a thin layer of good soil over clay. Not what I would
describe as ideal conditions. If this plant does go overboard, how
tough will it be to trim back? Are there runners? Does anyone have
personal experience with this plant going rogue? My other choice is
to put this in a hanging basket.

Thanks, Jenn

Zone 7, Raleigh, NC

I"ve got it in two or three places and have not found it invasive at all.
I"m in zones 2/3 WA state. The pink flowers are lovely; I have it planted in
the shade with sweet woodruff, cloumbines, and some other spring loveleies.

Penny S

Old 19-04-2003, 01:32 PM
David J. Bockman

Don't worry Jenn, it's easily controlled...... if it gets out of bounds it's
a simple thing to 'weed' outt he offending new plants-- they come up easily.

Old 19-04-2003, 03:32 PM
delirium

Thanks to everyone for the reassurance. I will plant it in the ground as
envisioned. The hours of weeding out vinca have made me rather gunshy on
groundcovers.

-Jenn

Old 22-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Jutta

I just love this groundcover, and the blooms are just stunning. Is it
invasive? Well, in my experience it spreads, but the good part is that the
roots are not deep at all, so you can easily pull out the plants if they're
spreading too far.

Old 27-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Jim W

delirium wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the reassurance. I will plant it in the ground as
envisioned. The hours of weeding out vinca have made me rather gunshy on
groundcovers.

Its a *lot* tamer than vinca;-)
//
Jim

[IMG] code is On

Lamium M Froggatt Garden Photos 0 02-06-2010 09:46 AM
need non-invasive plant for front slope. sams Gardening 1 13-10-2003 02:02 AM
Lamium: to mulch or not? Jack Straw Gardening 1 21-07-2003 02:54 AM
Lamium: to mulch or not? Jack Straw Gardening 0 18-07-2003 03:12 PM
question about purple dead nettle - lamium purpureum Salty Thumb of Death Plant Biology 9 22-04-2003 10:32 PM