Old 06-03-2007, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default Rhododendron transplanting question

I have a large rhododendron in my yard, maybe 12 feet tall, and spread about
5 feet. Because of the location, I had to remove it, so I cut it back to
about 3 feet tall and dug it out. I have, sitting in my back yard, the
remains - a root clump about a foot or so in diameter, and a half dozen 3
foot branches sticking up. I'm thinking of removing all but 3 branches, and
planting it. Any guesses as to whether it will survive this?

Old 06-03-2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete
the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote:

I have a large rhododendron in my yard, maybe 12 feet tall, and spread about
5 feet. Because of the location, I had to remove it, so I cut it back to
about 3 feet tall and dug it out. I have, sitting in my back yard, the
remains - a root clump about a foot or so in diameter, and a half dozen 3
foot branches sticking up. I'm thinking of removing all but 3 branches, and
planting it. Any guesses as to whether it will survive this?

I've moved three rhododendron about the same size for my parents. I
never cut them back but had the site prepared and planted immediately.
Watered well and staked for a year. I think you trashed it. However
you may be able to layer it and produce a new plant if the variety is
worth the effort to you.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 06-03-2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

"William Wagner" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, my 9 year old daughter saw me digging it and started to melt down
because I was digging up her "special tree". She had named it Navi, and came
out to visit all the time rolls eyeballs. So, since I already had a hole
handy, I pruned it and stuck it in the hole. If it dies, then I'll yank it
up and plant something else.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8115.jpg

Actually, considering how badly I butchered it, I'd be surprised if it
lives, but I was kinda obligated to give it a shot :P