Old 19-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Chloe

Default Grape Holly Question

Thanks to the regulars who offered help with my viburnum question. I'm back
g.

I also have (here in Zone 6) some small Mabonia aquifolium plants (compact
Oregon grape holly) which were planted last summer. These are supposed to be
evergreens but now they have a lot of areas of dead leaves. In the case of
one plant the entire thing appears dead. I did cut into a few stems and the
wood appeared to be green--possibly alive? The tag says they are hardy down
to at least -10 or -20 and I don't think it got that cold this winter--if it
did it was only for a night or two. They also got plenty of water last
summer.

Is there hope for these plants?