Old 30-03-2007, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Garden soil prices escalate

"Johnny" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 30, 9:05 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Jangchub" wrote in message

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 01:00:00 -0600, sherwindu
wrote:

We ought to go back to using trains!

Sherwin D.

betsyb wrote:

--

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well

"WOO HOO what a ride!"

BetsyB

"Harold" wrote in message
egroups.com...
Garden soil prices escalate.

I have just returned from shopping for bagged garden soil for my
raised garden and found since last season, that not only have they
increased the price by 60 percent but they have reduced the size of
the bags by twenty five percent. The soil is made of ground-up
materials from old buildings that are torn down and allowed to
compost, lead based paints and all. The processors call the product
"black gold." I wonder if the inflation gurus take into
consideration
the reduction of the sizes of goods on top of the increased price
when
establishing the inflation rate?
Harold
www.raised-garden-bed.com

I am retired Teamster and know that rising gas/fuel prices control
the
prices of everything we buy. Most are truck delivered.

Betsy

We do use trains. We deliver American cars made in Mexico or Canada.
Big, honkin gas guzzlers. My Expedition is now ten years old. There
is 67,000 original miles on it. I barely drive it, but it's all I
have. I could try to sell it, but what car on the market truly gets
good gas mileage? A Mini Cooper?

The reference was to freight costs, not car mileage. Shipping things by
truck has gotten a LOT more expensive over the past couple of years. The
less "things" on each truck, the more expensive each "thing" becomes.

So what's your point?

Read the paragraph above - the one beginning with "We do use trains". Tell
me if you think it's a sensible response to the one which preceeded it,
beginning with "I am a retired Teamster".

Old 30-03-2007, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Johnny" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 29, 2:37 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Harold" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 29, 1:27 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Harold" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Mar 29, 10:47 am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"Harold" wrote in message

groups.com...

Garden soil prices escalate.

I have just returned from shopping for bagged garden soil for my
raised garden and found since last season, that not only have
they
increased the price by 60 percent but they have reduced the size
of
the bags by twenty five percent. The soil is made of ground-up
materials from old buildings that are torn down and allowed to
compost, lead based paints and all. The processors call the
product
"black gold." I wonder if the inflation gurus take into
consideration
the reduction of the sizes of goods on top of the increased price
when
establishing the inflation rate?
Harold
www.raised-garden-bed.com

You have a conflicting pair of ideas in what you wrote. First, you
said
"garden soil prices", which suggests that ALL garden soil has
increased
in
price. Then, you mentioned "black gold", which sounds like a brand
name.
Matter of fact, it *is* a brand name. I wonder if other brands have
NOT
increased in price and had their packages made smaller.

It might be worthwhile to hire a private detective for a day, to
assist
you
in finding stores which sell a different brand.

Thanks for your comments. I went to three mass merchandisers and
the
prices have all increased. The phrase "black gold" came from the
mouth
of a guy on TV describing the process of taking waste building
material and making it into compost. Last season I was able to buy
one
cubic yard of soil for $24.00 but this year the prevailing price is
$48.00 for the same amount of stuff. I would say that such an
increase
is quite significant and troubling.
Harold
www.raised-garden-bed.com

It sounds like a weird product, so I don't know why you'd buy it to
begin
with. And, the main thing contributing to the price increases you've
mentioned is the cost of fuel for vehicles which deliver pretty much
everything. My company ships product by truck, and the per mile rate
is
up
drastically over the past 18 months.

My only alternative is to buy it by the truck load which would give me
more than I can use and don't care to have a big pile of dirt in my
yard.

With every response, this gets more interesting. In the beginning, you
referred to bagged soil. Are you saying that where you live, there is no
source of a different brand of bagged soil? There are NO other sources of
BAGGED soil?

AND - this black gold stuff may contain lead and all sorts of other crap.
Were you planning on using it to grow things you plan to eat?

Why don't you go to another group if you want to stir up controversy

What exactly is the controversy you think I tried to stir up?

Old 30-03-2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 30, 11:30 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Johnny" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 30, 9:05 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

. ..

betsyb wrote:

--

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in
one hand, Starbucks in the other, totally worn out and
screaming,

"WOO HOO what a ride!"

BetsyB

"Harold" wrote in message
egroups.com...
[...]

So what's the big deal?

Old 30-03-2007, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Johnny" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mar 29, 2:37 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

groups.com...

"Harold" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Mar 29, 10:47 am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"Harold" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

It's pretty obvious...

Old 30-03-2007, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

oups.com...
"Johnny" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mar 29, 2:37 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

groups.com...

wrote:
"Harold" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Mar 29, 10:47 am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"Harold" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Since there is NO controversy, it is NOT obvious. Explain what you imagine
you're seeing, or we'll assume you're just another troll.

Old 30-03-2007, 05:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

oups.com...
"Johnny" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 30, 9:05 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

. ..

betsyb wrote:

--

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in
one hand, Starbucks in the other, totally worn out and
screaming,

"WOO HOO what a ride!"

BetsyB

"Harold" wrote in message
egroups.com...
[...]

Quiet, troll.

Old 30-03-2007, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Now you know what pet owners have had to deal with, main brands of dry foor
are not down to only 17lbs instead of the old 20lb bags and still they've
gone up at lest $4 to $6.00 more in price, that's why I buy the cheap stuff
in 20lb bags and all my cats enjoy eating it. Soil? Out here in the mojave
Desert I just add steer to it.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

oups.com...
"Johnny" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 30, 9:05 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

. ..

betsyb wrote:

--

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in
one hand, Starbucks in the other, totally worn out and
screaming,

"WOO HOO what a ride!"

BetsyB

egroups.com...

Old 30-03-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 30, 12:57 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Johnny" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 30, 11:30 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Johnny" wrote in message

groups.com...

On Mar 30, 9:05 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

. ..

betsyb wrote:

--

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in
one hand, Starbucks in the other, totally worn out and
screaming,

"WOO HOO what a ride!"

BetsyB

"Harold" wrote in message
egroups.com...
[...]

OH MY, BUT AREN'T WE TOUCHY TODAY !!!

Old 30-03-2007, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:56:56 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Since there is NO controversy, it is NOT obvious. Explain what you imagine
you're seeing, or we'll assume you're just another troll.

I mentioned trains because someone said why don't we use them any
more. I live 1,000 feet from a main line, cross country train track
and the thing I see the most often being hauled by train are cars and
trucks. That's why I said what I said. We'd need a LOT more train
tracks to make a difference in prices. There are tens of thousands of
rigs all over the highways.

Anyway, will you please learn how to edit your posts.
Old 30-03-2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Since there is NO controversy, it is NOT obvious. Explain what you imagine
you're seeing, or we'll assume you're just another troll.

I mentioned trains because someone said why don't we use them any
more. I live 1,000 feet from a main line, cross country train track
and the thing I see the most often being hauled by train are cars and
trucks. That's why I said what I said. We'd need a LOT more train
tracks to make a difference in prices. There are tens of thousands of
rigs all over the highways.

Anyway, will you please learn how to edit your posts.

Edit...I know. I function at 1400 mph during the day. But, try this next
time you run across a long post:

CTRL-END

Zips you to the end of almost any document. CTRL-HOME takes you to the
beginning.

Old 30-03-2007, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 21:39:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Edit...I know. I function at 1400 mph during the day. But, try this next
time you run across a long post:

CTRL-END

Zips you to the end of almost any document. CTRL-HOME takes you to the
beginning.

Ah, good tip!

thanks,
Victoria
Old 31-03-2007, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Edit...I know. I function at 1400 mph during the day. But, try this next
time you run across a long post:

CTRL-END

Zips you to the end of almost any document. CTRL-HOME takes you to the
beginning.

Ah, good tip!

thanks,
Victoria

Every computer should come with a huge sticker that displays a list of these
shortcuts. Once upon a time, everyone knew them.