Old 04-04-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Roses and Garlic

I've heard repeatedly that planting garlic between rose bushes
helps keep off pests.

Any experience out there? Would like some real-world input before I
launch my garlic-between-roses campaign.

Persephone
Old 04-04-2007, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 3, 6:44 pm, Persephone wrote:
I've heard repeatedly that planting garlic between rose bushes
helps keep off pests.

Any experience out there? Would like some real-world input before I
launch my garlic-between-roses campaign.

Sorry, none here. However, marigolds seem to help mine.

Patrick

Old 04-04-2007, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 3, 4:44 pm, Persephone wrote:
I've heard repeatedly that planting garlic between rose bushes
helps keep off pests.

Any experience out there? Would like some real-world input before I
launch my garlic-between-roses campaign.

Persephone

I tried this with garlic chives rather than garlic. It did keep the
aphids
away from the roses: they were attracted to the garlic chives instead!
They were _covered_ with aphids!
I decided that I would just leave the aphids on the roses and let the
hummingbirds/ladybugs/soldier beetles take care of them. And they do.

Emilie
Nor Cal

Old 04-04-2007, 11:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 16:44:37 -0700, Persephone wrote:

I've heard repeatedly that planting garlic between rose bushes
helps keep off pests.

Any experience out there? Would like some real-world input before I
launch my garlic-between-roses campaign.

Persephone

I did exactly this. The garlic has been growth there for 10+ years,
popping up in January then dying off in the June summer heat. I still
use a systemic, else my roses would be covered with aphids. The
garlic has no or little effect with Japanese beetles. The garlic
seems to enjoy all the cow manure, fish emulsion and other fertilizers
applied. Other than appearance, I don't see a lot of benefit from the
garlic.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3 Apr 2007 20:33:19 -0700, "mleblanca" wrote:

On Apr 3, 4:44 pm, Persephone wrote:
I've heard repeatedly that planting garlic between rose bushes
helps keep off pests.

Any experience out there? Would like some real-world input before I
launch my garlic-between-roses campaign.

Persephone

I tried this with garlic chives rather than garlic. It did keep the
aphids
away from the roses: they were attracted to the garlic chives instead!
They were _covered_ with aphids!
I decided that I would just leave the aphids on the roses and let the
hummingbirds/ladybugs/soldier beetles take care of them. And they do.

Emilie
Nor Cal

Thanks to all who responded.

Not sure WHAT aphids look like! After all these years...!

Are they the icky-sticky little things that cluster on the new
buds and the adjacent stems, right at the beginning of the
new growth?

If so, how do you get them off? I just wipe them off with
my fingers (ick) or sometimes a wet paper towel.

If NOT the same, how do you get off the "icky-sticky"
little things described above?

TIA

Old 06-04-2007, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day persephone,

yes the theory being that garlic even garlic chives growing around the
roses or any plants for that matter, distracts the ants from wanting
to be there, so therefore no ants means no aphids/mealybugs/scale
insects.

lot sue the process

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 16:44:37 -0700, Persephone wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 07-04-2007, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote in :

[...]

That's them. Sometimes you can just hose them off (but it just moves
them elsewhere, I suppose). I've used a hot sauce/water mist to remove
them for a while and sometimes they don't return for a long while after a
good coating of that. Beneficial insects are good, too. Buy a bunch of
praying mantises and watch how fast THEY have a feast. I've gotten a
real appreciation for praying mantises in the last few years.

[IMG] code is On

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Planting garlic with roses cross United Kingdom 2 09-05-2004 12:09 PM
Roses and Apples was Blackspot on roses near tree Radika Kesavan Roses 2 04-06-2003 05:56 AM
Colour of roses best roses for Albuquerque, NM Radika Kesavan Roses 18 05-04-2003 12:20 AM