Old 03-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Shiva

Default Roses and Apples was Blackspot on roses near tree

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 11:36:52 -0700, Radika Kesavan
wrote:

. An Apple is a Rose by just another name, isn't it. I mean, the
family Rosaceae contains both the sub-families of Pomoideae (apples,
pears, loquats, etc.) and Rosoideae (roses, raspberries, blackberries,
and strawberries, etc.) after all. In addition there are the other four
sub-families Spiræoideae, Prunoideae, Chrysobalanoideae and
Neuradoideae, all under the family of Rosaceae.

This is part of what I had read that pnly partially stuck in my mind
and became a general notion of roses and fruit trees being similar.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:56 AM
lms

In article ,
says...

lms wrote:
In article ,

says...

Note that the scientific name of most of the fungal diseases include the
word 'rosa' in some form. These diseases are specific to roses and are not
transmitted from non-rose plants or trees.

amen. an apple tree with blackspot is a scary thing to contemplate.

Hey Mack. An Apple is a Rose by just another name, isn't it. I mean, the
family Rosaceae contains both the sub-families of Pomoideae (apples,
pears, loquats, etc.) and Rosoideae (roses, raspberries, blackberries,
and strawberries, etc.) after all. In addition there are the other four
sub-families Spiræoideae, Prunoideae, Chrysobalanoideae and
Neuradoideae, all under the family of Rosaceae.

page, useful hahaha:
http://www.mydeergarden.com/Other_Info/latin.htm
page, kinda interesting:
http://www.aromas.ca/tech_info.htm with the following

ROSE

Antidepressant. Produces a state of well being and happiness. Aphrodisiac.
Powerful inhibitor of undesirable odours.

I love Robert Frost's take on all this - something you can may be recite
to your wife on her birthday or when you are in trouble with her
whichever comes first:

"The rose is a rose,
And was always a rose.
But the theory now goes
That the apple's a rose,
And the pear is, and so's
The plum, I suppose.
The dear only knows
What will next prove a rose.
You, of course, are a rose*
But were always a rose."

I thought that was Emily Dickinson.
The other night I found another surprising cousin and now I can't find it.
But I found this, it's passe' but it's still pretty good, especially item 26.
then double it and double it and double it, strangely enough--there must be
something to that. hahahaha, when you figure it out let me know.
http://hometown.aol.com/wreitwiesn/c...2000/gore.html

Radika
California
USDA 9 / Sunset 15