Old 10-04-2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Throw Dice, Guess Rose

The previous owners of my house bought a rose bush and apparently, their
thinking (?) process involved this: "What would be the worst possible place
to plant this thing?" So, they stuck it two feet from a large evergreen
shrub, in a corner of the house where it gets about 45 minutes of sun in the
morning, and total shade for the remainder. It grows almost 8 feet tall,
though, which raises a question: Is it leggy because it's not getting enough
light? Or is it tall because it's a climber? There are no identifying tags,
of course.

I realize nobody can know the answer, unless I arrange for DNA analysis. So,
I'm collecting guesses. Hit me with your best shot. No penalties for wrong
guesses. I'm planning moving it, and its final position will depend on
whether it's a climber or not.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "JoeSpareBedroom" contains these words:

The previous owners of my house bought a rose bush and apparently, their
thinking (?) process involved this: "What would be the worst possible
place
to plant this thing?" So, they stuck it two feet from a large evergreen
shrub, in a corner of the house where it gets about 45 minutes of sun
in the
morning, and total shade for the remainder. It grows almost 8 feet tall,
though, which raises a question: Is it leggy because it's not getting
enough
light? Or is it tall because it's a climber? There are no identifying
tags,
of course.

I realize nobody can know the answer, unless I arrange for DNA
analysis. So,
I'm collecting guesses.

To do that we need a closer description of the leaves, flowers, growth
habit of stems, thorniness etc.

Janet

It's never flowered, at least not in the two seasons since I've been here.
Distance between leaf things (along main stems) is WAY too long, compared to
any healthy rose I've ever seen. Stay tuned until the weekend, and I'll see
if I can get a photo of the thorns. Weather's too sloppy to bring a camera
out there today.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 10, 8:04 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
....(extra deleted)...
guesses. I'm planning moving it, and its final position will depend on
whether it's a climber or not.

If that is your deciding factor, put up a tall pole, or drop a line
down from the evergreen, wait a season, and see how far up it grows...

Old 12-04-2007, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

"BearDrummer" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 10, 8:04 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
...(extra deleted)...
guesses. I'm planning moving it, and its final position will depend on
whether it's a climber or not.

If that is your deciding factor, put up a tall pole, or drop a line
down from the evergreen, wait a season, and see how far up it grows...

I've already waited two seasons. Growing a rose in shade is a defective
experiment, since we already know they need sun.