Old 10-04-2007, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Spider Mites on Strawberry Pot Strawberries

I've recently had an outbreak of spider mites on several of the plants
in my strawberry pot. I tried a neem oil spray, but I've still got a
lot of the mites and I don't want to kill my plants with the spray.
I've read that moisture is bad for spider mites, so I'm spraying the
plants with water from a spray bottle several times a day.

Is the water alone likely to be an effective control for the spider
mites? Should I continue to use the neem oil? How often? Is there
something else I can do to get rid of the mites? I don't want to
spend a lot on one remedy after another, so if there is something that
will be effective I'd like to go straight to that.

--TWH

Old 10-04-2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Tim Howell" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've recently had an outbreak of spider mites on several of the plants
in my strawberry pot. I tried a neem oil spray, but I've still got a
lot of the mites and I don't want to kill my plants with the spray.
I've read that moisture is bad for spider mites, so I'm spraying the
plants with water from a spray bottle several times a day.

Is the water alone likely to be an effective control for the spider
mites? Should I continue to use the neem oil? How often? Is there
something else I can do to get rid of the mites? I don't want to
spend a lot on one remedy after another, so if there is something that
will be effective I'd like to go straight to that.

Water alone will work but you have to blast the underneaths of every

Old 10-04-2007, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10 Apr 2007 12:37:15 -0700, "Tim Howell"
wrote:

I've recently had an outbreak of spider mites on several of the plants
in my strawberry pot. I tried a neem oil spray, but I've still got a
lot of the mites and I don't want to kill my plants with the spray.
I've read that moisture is bad for spider mites, so I'm spraying the
plants with water from a spray bottle several times a day.

Is the water alone likely to be an effective control for the spider
mites? Should I continue to use the neem oil? How often? Is there
something else I can do to get rid of the mites? I don't want to
spend a lot on one remedy after another, so if there is something that
will be effective I'd like to go straight to that.

--TWH

Read the label and it will answer all these questions. I never found
Neem oil to be very useful. When I get spider mites I blast the
undersides of the leaves with a very strong blast of hose. It forces
the mites off. It doesn't kill them, which is nice IMO.