Old 21-04-2007, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default "heeling in" plants like azaleas for transplant

We are having a swimming pool put in out backyard and we dug up a
bunch of plants including mature azaleas, to put aside for 12 weeks
while the pool is finished. We hope some will survive and can be used
in landscaping the pool after it tis complete. A local landscape
company placed them all close together and pushed some dirt up around
the bases, and adivsed us to use an osccillatiung sprinkler (not
impulse) on a timer. Does anyone have advice on methods to help
ensure the survival of these plants? Is any sort of plant food/
fertilizer of value? How much water should they get? Thanks very
much.
Jay

Old 21-04-2007, 05:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 20, 11:56 pm, Jay wrote:
We are having a swimming pool put in out backyard and we dug up a
bunch of plants including mature azaleas, to put aside for 12 weeks
while the pool is finished. We hope some will survive and can be used
in landscaping the pool after it tis complete. A local landscape
company placed them all close together and pushed some dirt up around
the bases, and adivsed us to use an osccillatiung sprinkler (not
impulse) on a timer. Does anyone have advice on methods to help
ensure the survival of these plants? Is any sort of plant food/
fertilizer of value? How much water should they get? Thanks very
much.
Jay

Fertilizer would be like having a thanksgiving dinner following a
heart transplant- don't do it.

Partial shade, protection from wind, a good supply of water, and
drainage so it's not sitting in a puddle and perhaps an
antitranspirant spray will all help.
How much water will vary, do not let them dry out, poke around in the
soil and be sure.