Old 22-04-2007, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Liquid soap

Persephone wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 21:59:01 +1200, "George.com"
wrote:

I have been using el cheapo shampoo (left behind by dad in law when he

was
house/mutt sitting recently) as liquid soap after a day in the garden. I
notice that the shampoo leaves my hands dry and rough. Just imagine what

the
crap does to your scalp. Dandruff storm anyone?

rob

I'm thinking about switching to soaps/shampoos made from vegetable
materials, without sodium lauryl sulfate, which is apparently the
"operative" element in soap/shampoo/detergent whether from drugstore
or fancy maker. (Tom's of Maine does contain it.)

the liquid soap I normally get is ok, its just the shampoo that is drying. A
mate who did a few days house/mutt sitting before dad in law left behind
some 'organic' hemp shampoo. Thats a lot nicer to my hair.

rob

Old 22-04-2007, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I have been using el cheapo shampoo (left behind by dad in law when he was
house/mutt sitting recently) as liquid soap after a day in the garden. I
notice that the shampoo leaves my hands dry and rough. Just imagine what the
crap does to your scalp. Dandruff storm anyone?

rob

I'm thinking about switching to soaps/shampoos made from vegetable
materials, without sodium lauryl sulfate, which is apparently the
"operative" element in soap/shampoo/detergent whether from drugstore
or fancy maker. (Tom's of Maine does contain it.)

Haven't done so yet, so can't attest to their efficacy, but at next
Farmer's Market, I will buy a cake from the soap guy.

Googled the term, and got a lot of hits.

Each to their own decision, but reading through some of the sites
that I googled gave food for thought.

One of the SLS sites links to snopes.com Toxins. Some hairy
stories, most of them False.

Personally, I haven't experienced the extreme effects on some of the
Snopes effects, but I do have very, very dry skin and live in a
semi-desert area *, so would be interested to see if switching from
SLS (Sodium lauryl sulfate) products might help.

* You didn't know that the Los Angeles area is a semi-desert?
Place wouldn't even exist if water not brought from far away.

Persephone

Old 22-04-2007, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:56:32 -0700, Persephone wrote:

I'm thinking about switching to soaps/shampoos made from vegetable
materials, without sodium lauryl sulfate, which is apparently the
"operative" element in soap/shampoo/detergent whether from drugstore
or fancy maker. (Tom's of Maine does contain it.)

What about methylisothiozolinone? I did that from memory believe it
or not! Why do we need that in shampoo?