Old 12-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Adrian Jones

Default Oversprayed with Soap

A couple of days ago I noticed that the new leaf growth on my buddleia was
covered with greenfly, so I sprayed the plant with insecticidal soap.
Thinking that soap couldn't do much harm, I sprayed the heck out of it.
However, I think I overdid it because now the leaves are decidedly droopy
and very sorry looking.

What have I done? Have I killed it or will it recover? Should I cut off
the new growth and start again? (I cut it back hard about a month ago)

I also noticed loads of greenfly on my lenten rose flowers. I sprayed the
heck out of those too, so I'm anxious to see what damage I've caused there.

And yes, I've learned my lesson!

Old 12-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Adrian Jones wrote:
A couple of days ago I noticed that the new leaf growth on my buddleia was
covered with greenfly, so I sprayed the plant with insecticidal soap.
Thinking that soap couldn't do much harm, I sprayed the heck out of it.
However, I think I overdid it because now the leaves are decidedly droopy
and very sorry looking.

What have I done? Have I killed it or will it recover? Should I cut off
the new growth and start again? (I cut it back hard about a month ago)

A few plants are sensitive - most aren't. I spray the hell out of
my conservatory plants, and none worry about it. It is also quite
possible that it is the frosty nights that have caused the problem
and nothing to do with the soap!

Whatever. Do nothing until it recovers, and then you can remove
dead shoots. The chances of killing a buddleia like that are small.

I also noticed loads of greenfly on my lenten rose flowers. I sprayed the
heck out of those too, so I'm anxious to see what damage I've caused there.

And yes, I've learned my lesson!

It does warn that you nedd to check first!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Martin Brown

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Adrian Jones wrote:
A couple of days ago I noticed that the new leaf growth on my buddleia was
covered with greenfly, so I sprayed the plant with insecticidal soap.
Thinking that soap couldn't do much harm, I sprayed the heck out of it.
However, I think I overdid it because now the leaves are decidedly droopy
and very sorry looking.

What have I done? Have I killed it or will it recover? Should I cut off
the new growth and start again? (I cut it back hard about a month ago)

A few plants are sensitive - most aren't. I spray the hell out of
my conservatory plants, and none worry about it. It is also quite
possible that it is the frosty nights that have caused the problem
and nothing to do with the soap!

Some plants with shiny waxy leaves are more than a bit sensitive to wetting
agents and soaps. I virtually killed a bay tree this way. It dessicated
completely within a few days of being sprayed with soft soap. The top ended up
dead and it grew back from the roots. It did get rid of the pests too but with
serious collateral damage.

Whatever. Do nothing until it recovers, and then you can remove
dead shoots. The chances of killing a buddleia like that are small.

I expect it will grow back - buddleias are virtually impossible to kill by
accident.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 12-04-2003, 01:33 PM
bnd777

I am sure both of them will survive though

"Adrian Jones" wrote in message
A couple of days ago I noticed that the new leaf growth on my buddleia was
covered with greenfly, so I sprayed the plant with insecticidal soap.
Thinking that soap couldn't do much harm, I sprayed the heck out of it.
However, I think I overdid it because now the leaves are decidedly droopy
and very sorry looking.

What have I done? Have I killed it or will it recover? Should I cut off
the new growth and start again? (I cut it back hard about a month ago)

I also noticed loads of greenfly on my lenten rose flowers. I sprayed the
heck out of those too, so I'm anxious to see what damage I've caused

there.

And yes, I've learned my lesson!

Soap continued: she's back... Theo van Daele Ponds 14 19-09-2003 04:39 AM
Soft soap Chris Hogg United Kingdom 8 15-06-2003 01:20 PM
Antsreply to "Cliff" Soap Box ALERT!! Libralove Texas 2 19-05-2003 11:44 PM
how good are neem oil and copper soap? Dora Smith Texas 4 09-04-2003 09:56 PM
Gardeners Soap ! elizabeth bridge United Kingdom 0 10-01-2003 01:35 AM