Old 30-04-2007, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hijacked thread that was about about Growing garlic

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:22:18 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

|Adding a sig delimiter is a courtesy to any and all who may reply, often
|as important as editing or trimming replies.

Aw, Baloney

Quotation of unneccesary/irrelevant material, often from several receding levels
of thread - which seems to be the norm here - are far more important and
intrusive. Trimming them, as one "ought" to, automatically solves the "problem"
(what problem?) of re-quoting a few lines of (potentially) irrelevant
signature.

But I don't usually like to spend - and I don't intend to spend any more - time
whining about that.

Tell you what - any info that I might put in my signature, I will put instead in
the body of the message.

But only if I feel it makes sense.

Now I'm done with this nonsense. It's a GARDENING forum.
Alexander
Old 30-04-2007, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Growing garlic

"Dwayne" wrote in
:

Yes. If you plant them now they will come up but probably not develop
into cloves by harvest time. My Elephant garlic wont. It turns out
to be one big ball.

That's sort of interesting. Is it usable when it's one big ball? I've
never gotten around to planting garlic and I curse myself every spring for
forgetting.
Old 30-04-2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

John McWilliams wrote:

....... I agree .........

Remember: Opinions are like buttocks; only those which are well-formed
should be shown in public.

Nice buns, John. (ambiguous smile)
Alexander
Old 30-04-2007, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:
"Dwayne" wrote in
:

Yes. If you plant them now they will come up but probably not develop
into cloves by harvest time. My Elephant garlic wont. It turns out
to be one big ball.

That's sort of interesting. Is it usable when it's one big ball? I've
never gotten around to planting garlic and I curse myself every spring for
forgetting.

I don't think growing garlic is all that rewarding. I
grew some once, and I have to say I got some
satisfaction from it, but we use so much of it, and the
stuff doesn't keep all that well if you grow a lot of
it, and the stuff also is so cheap to buy, that it just
doesn't seem worth it. I think a better use of the
time and space and other resources is to grow fresh
herbs, which are /not/ cheap, and which /do/ "store"
well, if by storage you take to mean keeping them on
the plant until you trim a little for use.

Especially having limited gardening space, I only want
to grow those things where there's both a marked
quality improvement by growing my own, and a
significant price saving. Garlic isn't one. I
wouldn't grow my own dried beans, either, for the same
reason.

Old 30-04-2007, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Rudy Canoza wrote:
FragileWarrior wrote:

"Dwayne" wrote in
:

[...]

Chacun a son gout.

(With apologies for a font and keyboard which do not contain the
french accenture marks.)

I grow massive amounts of herbs: oregano, tarragon, chives (2
varieties) , parsley (2 varieties)
savory, marjoram, rosemary, sage, thyme.

To me, garlic is another herb, even though the "good eats" part is
underground and not up on a stem.
Old 30-04-2007, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

(With apologies for a font and keyboard which do not contain the
french accenture marks.)

You as dumb as dirt boy? Everybody knows those are diacritical marks
and, French is a proper noun, so capitalize it. Listen up boy, you
representing our row, so ship-up or shape-out. We've got an eye on you;-

I do admire your entropy-friendly organization.

- Bill
from here at Camp Runamuck,
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
Old 01-05-2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have used them as a ball. I grow elephant garlic and it is pretty mild.
I couldn't tell the difference between a large clove or the ball. If you
leave the ball, the finished clove will be much bigger and you have more to
use. I have found the ball several times when digging my garlic, and just
put them back into the ground and left them until the following year. That
worked out very well.

Dwayne

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"Dwayne" wrote in
:

Yes. If you plant them now they will come up but probably not develop
into cloves by harvest time. My Elephant garlic wont. It turns out
to be one big ball.

That's sort of interesting. Is it usable when it's one big ball? I've
never gotten around to planting garlic and I curse myself every spring for
forgetting.

[IMG] code is On

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Garlic Growing Problems [email protected] United Kingdom 0 24-05-2004 07:11 PM
Growing Zones Was: when do you harvest garlic? Steve Calvin Edible Gardening 9 18-04-2004 06:05 AM
Growing Zones Was: when do you harvest garlic? Steve Calvin Edible Gardening 0 06-04-2004 09:15 PM
Moron growing garlic Mary McHugh Edible Gardening 9 27-04-2003 07:20 AM