Old 30-04-2007, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Aggressive runners...

....strrawberry, that is.

I have 3 varieties planted in maybe too-small area this year.

They are aggressively sending out runners.

In the past (another area) I used to cut off the runners
and plant the rooted end elsewhere.

Should I now:

a. throw away the runners?

b. plant them between rosebushes there is sufficient room)

c. enlarge the area (involves a LOT of work digging up & amending
horrible lawn).

d. plant them between veggies. In that case, which
ones to AVOID?

Tx for your thoughts.

Persephone
Old 02-05-2007, 05:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:08:25 -0700, Persephone wrote:

...strrawberry, that is.

I have 3 varieties planted in maybe too-small area this year.

They are aggressively sending out runners.

In the past (another area) I used to cut off the runners
and plant the rooted end elsewhere.

Should I now:

a. throw away the runners?

b. plant them between rosebushes there is sufficient room)

c. enlarge the area (involves a LOT of work digging up & amending
horrible lawn).

d. plant them between veggies. In that case, which
ones to AVOID?

Tx for your thoughts.

Persephone

Please, folks- somebody decide for me what I should do with these
aggressive runners, before a tendril comes through the open window
while I'm asleep...g

P.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote:

[...]

I've read that the mother plants often decrease fruit production after
a few years and the 'runners'/daughter plants should be encoraged to
bear fruit. Dunno if that means digging up the mother, shifting the
runners over or replanting or ????

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 02-05-2007, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 02 May 2007 04:20:59 GMT, Carl 1 Lucky Texan
wrote:

Persephone wrote:

[...]

Carl, these plants are brand new! I just put them in
about 3 months ago. They just started to bear this month,
and already the runners are going nuts!

Old 03-05-2007, 04:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Persephone wrote:

[...]

I 6think that's the nature of them. Indeed, the very name seems to come
from 'strewn about' - not 'straw' as many people think (grown in/on top
of straw, etc.).

I suggest either more searching ( try www.davesgarden.com ) or do an
experiment and pinch the runners back on a plant to compare to the
others. Also, Sow Teat/Alpine strawberries have a more upright habit I
think, maybe switch to that variety?
Honestly I;m just guessing as thois is our first year with strawberries,
there seems to be a lot of misinformation and 'old wives tales'
associated with them. One person told us they wouldn't bear fruit until
they were root bound!

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)