Old 01-05-2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Daffodils that don't bloom

I have some clumps of daffodils that don't bloom or else bloom very
sparsely. Some have buds that die off. I've tried giving them bone meal
after bloom (or nonbloom), but it hasn't helped. Other daffodils in my yard
bloom profusely. I am about to dig up the non-bloomers. Question: Should
I try replanting them elsewhere, with nice compost in the holes etc., or
should I let them do their bit by tossing them into the compost pile?

heclo
East central Illinois

Old 01-05-2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 1 May 2007 10:58:24 -0500, "helco"
wrote:

I have some clumps of daffodils that don't bloom or else bloom very
sparsely. Some have buds that die off. I've tried giving them bone meal
after bloom (or nonbloom), but it hasn't helped. Other daffodils in my yard
bloom profusely. I am about to dig up the non-bloomers. Question: Should
I try replanting them elsewhere, with nice compost in the holes etc., or
should I let them do their bit by tossing them into the compost pile?

heclo
East central Illinois

If they are not burried deep enough they may not bloom, so after the
foliage dies back, dig them out and make sure they are burried six
inches and put the phosphorous in the hole when you replant them. If
they don't bloom next year it can be that you are cutting off the
foliage sooner than you should and the plant is not getting enough
nutrition from the sun.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2007-05-01 11:58:24 -0400, "helco" said:

I have some clumps of daffodils that don't bloom or else bloom very
sparsely. Some have buds that die off. I've tried giving them bone meal
after bloom (or nonbloom), but it hasn't helped. Other daffodils in my yard
bloom profusely. I am about to dig up the non-bloomers. Question: Should
I try replanting them elsewhere, with nice compost in the holes etc., or
should I let them do their bit by tossing them into the compost pile?

heclo
East central Illinois

Daffs tend to bury themselves deeper after a few years and that will
stop blooming. After the foliage dies back separate and replant them.
4-6 inches deep.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Johnny Borborigmi wrote:

Daffs tend to bury themselves deeper after a few years and that will
stop blooming. After the foliage dies back separate and replant them.
4-6 inches deep.

I don't find that to be true at all (that they stop blooming because
they are too deep). I plant my Daffodils 8 inches deep (because I plant
annuals on top of them and don't want to disturb the bulbs) and they
keep blooming (and multiply) every year.

Daffodils stop blooming because the soil is very poor and/or the foliage
is not left in place long enough for the new bloom (for next year) to
develop. Deadheading and applying bone meal will help keep them
blooming every year.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 03-05-2007, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

"helco" wrote in message
m...
I have some clumps of daffodils that don't bloom or else bloom very
sparsely. Some have buds that die off. I've tried giving them bone meal
after bloom (or nonbloom), but it hasn't helped. Other daffodils in my
yard bloom profusely. I am about to dig up the non-bloomers. Question:
Should I try replanting them elsewhere, with nice compost in the holes
etc., or should I let them do their bit by tossing them into the compost
pile?

heclo
East central Illinois

I've received a variety of answers here. I'll answer various questions that
were raised:

1. I always let the foliage die off on its own, and I always deadhead
(though not always soon enough). Some of the foliage gets shaded by hostas
after a while -- but those aren't necessarily the ones that don't bloom.

2. There's been some disagreement in the answers about whether they're the
right depth. Since some of those clumps look "leggy," I suspect they're not
deep enough, rather than too deep.

3. Some of them were getting lots of sun when they were planted, but their
spots are now shady. However, there doesn't seem to be much consistency
there -- some of the good bloomers are equally shaded.

4. Some of the clumps that don't bloom are newer than the good bloomers, so
I don't think they're too crowded.

5. Central Illinois soil is good (think corn and soybeans), and I think I
put compost in with everything when they were first planted.

So -- I'll put markers on the duds, and once the foliage has died back I'll
dig them up. I'll replant them at the proper depth, if that seemed to be a
problem, I'll move some to sunnier locations, and I'll give everything some
compost and phosphorusand/or bone meal. And then if they still don't
bloom -- they're compost.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

helco

Old 03-05-2007, 01:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

I planted daffs along a very long drive. they are "naturalized" and go into deep
shade. the original holes were scraped hollows in basically limestone type gravel.

8 years later. they bloom, they thrive, the clumps increase every year. they get no
fertilizer. go figure. If I had an unproductive clump I would pull it, stake the
area and order something else for the spot. Ingrid

"helco" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 03-05-2007, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

One thing that was not mentioned is whether the bulbs were planted at
the same time. When I first moved into my apartment (Brooklyn), I
wanted to get some bulbs planted (it was late fall) so there would be
something blooming the following Spring. As they years have passed,
these first ones have not done so well. I would plant fresher bulbs
from more reputable places (i.e., not Home Depot or Lowe's . . . ) and
these have thrived. This Spring, the ones that had skinny foliage and
did not bloom were yanked because they will never get better after 5-6
years, imho.

I think a little serendipity comes into play -- as noted by the writer
noted immediately below if the plants like where they are, they will
thrive even if under ":adverse conditions".

"helco" wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List athttp://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...w.drsolo.c om
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan- Hide quoted text -

Old 03-05-2007, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Around here (Ohio) we dig up the bulbs every few years, discard the
small bulbs, and replant the large bulbs. This is done after the
foliage dies down, and there will be blooms the following spring.

I've heard many explanations of why we do this, and the only one that
makes sense to me is overcrowding. Regardless of the lack of
explanation, I know it does work.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Bill R expounded:

Daffodils stop blooming because the soil is very poor and/or the foliage
is not left in place long enough for the new bloom (for next year) to
develop. Deadheading and applying bone meal will help keep them
blooming every year.

Mine have been in place for over 15 years. They're overcrowded and
the bloom has definitely lessened. They do need to be separated - at
least once in 15 years! G
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 04-05-2007, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

I agree. sherpers is a good place for good bulbs. Ingrid

Tony Vassallo wrote:

One thing that was not mentioned is whether the bulbs were planted at
the same time. When I first moved into my apartment (Brooklyn), I
wanted to get some bulbs planted (it was late fall) so there would be
something blooming the following Spring. As they years have passed,
these first ones have not done so well. I would plant fresher bulbs
from more reputable places (i.e., not Home Depot or Lowe's . . . ) and
these have thrived.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

[IMG] code is On

Daffodils in bloom - So Cal -=£û©Â§=- Garden Photos 1 14-02-2007 01:59 PM
my rose don't bloom, and japanese beetles are eating my roses maria Roses 7 04-02-2007 07:42 PM
Daffodils After The Bloom rw Gardening 3 06-06-2006 01:52 AM
OFF: I don't see why children should have to go to school if they don't want to! zhanataya Gardening 0 29-03-2003 03:44 AM
OFF: I don't see why children should have to go to school if they don't want to! Polar Gardening 0 28-03-2003 11:20 PM