Old 01-05-2007, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tulip question

My friend is digging up his tulips and I'm going to take them. The foliage
is dying back now. Do I need to replant them immediately or can I hold them
in a dark place and replant them in the fall instead?

Old 02-05-2007, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:
My friend is digging up his tulips and I'm going to take them. The foliage
is dying back now. Do I need to replant them immediately or can I hold them
in a dark place and replant them in the fall instead?

The bulbs will be better off if you put them in the ground as soon as
you get them. A little bone meal in each hole should be added as you
plant them. You can plant annuals right over the newly planted bulbs if
you wish.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 02-05-2007, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

FragileWarrior expounded:

My friend is digging up his tulips and I'm going to take them. The foliage
is dying back now. Do I need to replant them immediately or can I hold them
in a dark place and replant them in the fall instead?

Has the foliage fully ripened? If not, then you're going to set the
bulb back severely by transplanting while the leaves are green and
growing. Keep as much soil around them as you can and disturb the
roots as little as possible.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

[IMG] code is On

Tulip Bulb Question (From a Stupid Person!) Jake United Kingdom 3 23-03-2011 07:39 PM
question regarding tulip bulbs gardening_guy Gardening 1 19-05-2008 02:07 AM
Magnolia "tulip" tree question nobodyhome1 Gardening 7 29-11-2005 02:03 PM
Tulip question Stephen G Gardening 4 19-04-2003 08:44 AM
azalea and tulip question Icy United Kingdom 1 18-03-2003 08:44 AM