Old 01-05-2007, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Can fir tree be pruned in late spring?

Our neighbours promised last year they would get their huge fir tree
cut back. It is on the boundary and takes a lot of our sun in the
evening. As they havent had it done yet and we desperately want as
much sun as poss this summer would it be ok for us to suggest having
it cut back now (we offer to pay half)?

Ive read everywhere that winter is best time but would we be damaging
the tree and its potential health by cutting back now?

Many thanks for your thoughts.
Beccie

Old 02-05-2007, 08:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Rebecca" wrote in message
ps.com...
Our neighbours promised last year they would get their huge fir tree
cut back. It is on the boundary and takes a lot of our sun in the
evening. As they havent had it done yet and we desperately want as
much sun as poss this summer would it be ok for us to suggest having
it cut back now (we offer to pay half)?

Ive read everywhere that winter is best time but would we be damaging
the tree and its potential health by cutting back now?

What do you mean by "cut back"? If you mean cutting off the top that
would be bad for the tree.
If you mean windowing, that would be OK. Windowing means to remove some
branches.

The paragraph below is from:
http://www.ci.vancouver.wa.us/parks-...ee_topping.htm

Enhance views by "windowing" or "crown raising." "Windowing" is defined
as removing several branches symmetrically within an area of the tree.
By carefully choosing which branches to cut, and making proper pruning
cuts, you can leave a window in a tree that provides a fully framed view
and also maintain the health of the tree. "Crown raising," or
"skirting," is the removal of lower branches to open up a view. To
maintain a healthy tree, do not remove more than 25 percent of the
canopy of a tree at one time.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 02-05-2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ing/index.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.