Old 02-05-2007, 01:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Asparagus

Everyone knows what asparagus looks like but the fun aspect of this
picture is that we picked it this morning before breakfast.

What we then did with it is the subject of the last picture of this series.

js

Old 02-05-2007, 02:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 01 May 2007 18:31:57 -0600, Jack Schmidling
magnanimously proffered:

Everyone knows what asparagus looks like but the fun aspect of this
picture is that we picked it this morning before breakfast.

What we then did with it is the subject of the last picture of this series.

js

What beautiful soil you appear to have. Are you near a river?

PS - My wife and I have been staying in the Vale of Evesham in
Britain's Midlands at the start and during the asparagus season,
bought it freshly picked from the farm and had asparagus every night.
I could never have enough. Next season (we're in the middle of Autumn
where we live), I'll try it in an omlette.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving

Jack Schmidling wrote:
Everyone knows what asparagus looks like but the fun aspect of this
picture is that we picked it this morning before breakfast.

What we then did with it is the subject of the last picture of this
series.

js

Nice looking asparagus and great looking omelet!

Jill

Old 02-05-2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving

"jmcquown" wrote:
Jack Schmidling wrote:
Everyone knows what asparagus looks like but the fun aspect of this
picture is that we picked it this morning before breakfast.

What we then did with it is the subject of the last picture of this
series.

Nice looking asparagus.

I imagine all yoose gals enjoy watching those asparaguys grow. lol

Sheldon

Old 02-05-2007, 02:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message

Everyone knows what asparagus looks like but the fun aspect of this
picture is that we picked it this morning before breakfast.
What we then did with it is the subject of the last picture of this
series.
js PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.com/pow.htm

Good show, Jack. There's a farmer not nearby who grows a purple asparagus.
They are very tender and worthwhile to cultivate. My sparrowgrass is still
babies.
I also did not like the stuff frozen. We did not blanch however and that
may have tainted the batch.
Edrena

Edrena

Old 02-05-2007, 04:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving

Jack Schmidling wrote:
Everyone knows what asparagus looks like but the fun aspect of this
picture is that we picked it this morning before breakfast.

What we then did with it is the subject of the last picture of this
series.

Huh. I've never thought of doing a fermented pickle with it.

B/
Old 03-05-2007, 06:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message

Snip post on Aspargus.

Forget the asparagus, I'm very, very impressed with your spinning and
weaving in the Fibre Crafts section of your site. Now that is talent!

I also spin (but use wheels) and have just begun to weave. Lovely site.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving

Jack Schmidling wrote:

Everyone knows what asparagus looks like but the fun aspect of this
picture is that we picked it this morning before breakfast.

What we then did with it is the subject of the last picture of this series.

With an asparagus patch that big and apparently that
successful, have you ever thought of growing some part
of your crop as white asparagus? Apparently it's quite
simple: you merely cover the spears so light doesn't
reach them. In Germany, where white asparagus is about
the only kind eaten, they do it by mounding mulch over
spears. This site,
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/whiteasparagus, by a
guy in Virginia, talks about putting a box over the
spears. I've heard of a combination of mulch and some
kind of basket (over the mulch) as well.