Old 24-05-2007, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Seeking "Mountain Fresh" Tomato Plants

I'm searching for any garden centers or growers who sell :Mountain
Fresh" tomato plants. The plants I started from seed were destroyed in
a storm, and now I have to start over. I've called more than 50 places
in my area (Wisconsin) and no one has even heard of this variety.

I grew "Mountain Fresh" last year and my family said they were the
best tomatoes they've ever had. I'd really like to get some for this
year but I don't know where to look.

Any replies appreciated/

Old 24-05-2007, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm searching for any garden centers or growers who sell :Mountain
Fresh" tomato plants. The plants I started from seed were destroyed in
a storm, and now I have to start over. I've called more than 50 places
in my area (Wisconsin) and no one has even heard of this variety.

I grew "Mountain Fresh" last year and my family said they were the
best tomatoes they've ever had. I'd really like to get some for this
year but I don't know where to look.

Any replies appreciated/

Have you tried the "Big 2", Burpee and Park Seed?

Old 24-05-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

I grew "Mountain Fresh" last year and my family said they were the
best tomatoes they've ever had. I'd really like to get some for this
year but I don't know where to look.

http://growers.harrisseeds.com/cart/...asp?subcat=344

- Bill

Old 24-05-2007, 06:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 24, 11:54 am, Bill Rose wrote:
In article ,

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
I grew "MountainFresh" last year and my family said they were the
best tomatoes they've ever had. I'd really like to get some for this
year but I don't know where to look.

http://growers.harrisseeds.com/cart/...asp?subcat=344

- Bill

Thanks for the replies but those companies are selling seeds. In my
area, it's far too late to start anything from seed, so I need to find
someplace where I can order plants. If anyone has leads or ideas,
please let me know.

Old 24-05-2007, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

ups.com...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
I grew "MountainFresh" last year and my family said they were the
best tomatoes they've ever had. I'd really like to get some for this
year but I don't know where to look.

http://growers.harrisseeds.com/cart/...asp?subcat=344

- Bill

Thanks for the replies but those companies are selling seeds. In my
area, it's far too late to start anything from seed, so I need to find
someplace where I can order plants. If anyone has leads or ideas,
please let me know.

Where are you located?

Old 24-05-2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
I grew "MountainFresh" last year and my family said they were the
best tomatoes they've ever had. I'd really like to get some for this
year but I don't know where to look.

http://growers.harrisseeds.com/cart/...asp?subcat=344

- Bill

Sorry, but those companies only sell seeds, and it's way too late for
that in my area. I need someone who sells plants.
If anyone has leads on greenhouses or companies that sell these
plants, I'd appreciate it.

Old 24-05-2007, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

oups.com...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
I grew "MountainFresh" last year and my family said they were the
best tomatoes they've ever had. I'd really like to get some for this
year but I don't know where to look.

http://growers.harrisseeds.com/cart/...asp?subcat=344

- Bill

Sorry, but those companies only sell seeds, and it's way too late for
that in my area. I need someone who sells plants.
If anyone has leads on greenhouses or companies that sell these
plants, I'd appreciate it.

Burpee sells plants, although I'm not sure if they are still shipping them
at this time of year. I believe Park also sells plants.

Some years ago, I read that it made little sense to pay for big tomato
plants instead of smaller ones of the same variety. Little is gained in
terms of earlier harvest, and the smaller plants catch up to the bigger ones
in size VERY quickly. As it turns out, this is true, at least in my upstate
NY garden.

I don't know if one can extrapolate too far with this idea, and say that
VERY small plants will perform as well as bigger ones, but it might be true.
My conclusion: You're losing time with every day that goes by. It's probably
worth the risk to buy the seeds and stick some in the ground, since you
really want this particular variety. You might be surprised at the results,
even with late planting.

But, buy a plant or two of some other variety as insurance.

Old 24-05-2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

ups.com...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
I grew "MountainFresh" last year and my family said they were the
best tomatoes they've ever had. I'd really like to get some for this
year but I don't know where to look.

http://growers.harrisseeds.com/cart/...asp?subcat=344

- Bill

Thanks for the replies but those companies are selling seeds. In my
area, it's far too late to start anything from seed, so I need to find
someplace where I can order plants. If anyone has leads or ideas,
please let me know.

Where are you located?

Wisconsin get frost in Aug.? These are supposed to be 65 day tomatoes.
I'd say you have a good chance. Break out the cold frame.

You want plants? They were developed at Penn State. Maybe they can tell
you who is growing, shipping, buying the seed. Email Harris Seed and
find out who their supplier is. Maybe the seed supplier can suggest a
nursery supplier who grows the plants. You want the plants? Roll up your
shirt sleeves and get to work.

- Bill
Old 24-05-2007, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
wrote:

I'm searching for any garden centers or growers who sell :Mountain
Fresh" tomato plants. The plants I started from seed were destroyed in
a storm, and now I have to start over. I've called more than 50 places
in my area (Wisconsin) and no one has even heard of this variety.

I grew "Mountain Fresh" last year and my family said they were the
best tomatoes they've ever had. I'd really like to get some for this
year but I don't know where to look.

Any replies appreciated/

Sorry if I sounded ****y. I get like that when I make a mistake, I'm
****y a lot. I missed that part about wanting plants in the original
post.

My point is still a good one though. Your purchase will be a small one
in the grand scheme of things but if a distributor can send a customer
to a client, that builds goodwill all around. If you're a nursey person
and you have two distributors to choose from, do you buy from the guy
who sent you a customer or the other guy? Same thing with the ag
department at Penn. They're propably dying to do something important
besides shuffling papers. You've talked up their product in a news
group. You've raised the public awareness of their product. They are
going to want to help, if they haven't already escaped for the summer.
Write to them. If worse comes to worse, you have Early Girls this year
and Mountain Fresh next year.

You got nothin' to lose.