Old 27-05-2007, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Saving corn seeds

On Fri, 25 May 2007 22:36:36 -0500, Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 24 May 2007 23:34:58 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

Being a student always leaves you feeling stupid and, here I am again.
I'm getting too old for this, maybe. For other newbies out there let me
just say that if you are planning on saving corn to plant next year, it
had better be open pollinated corn and not hybrid corn. With open
pollinated corn you can hand pollinate the corn (no snickering out
there, you know who you are) and then bag it (sort of the opposite of
what people do) and have corn with the same genome for the next year.
With hybrid corn there is no chance. Self pollination only leads to
divergent genomes, mixed populations of corn. This is what I am reading
in a book called "The Omnivores Dilemma". Besides the above, in spite of
$10,000,000,000 annually in commodity supports for corn growers, most of
them are just barely getting by, while the low price of American corn is
killing Mexican agriculture!!?? Adios Mexico, good morning Juan.

Interesting article that dovetails with your current read. I am in
the midst of corn country and I see this. Life is a bitch for
producers in the midwest. Land prices over $5000/acre in select areas
of Iowa. Who wins? I think ya'll know who doesn't win.

"From the news these days you'd think farmers have never had a better
friend than ethanol. Headlines holler that corn prices are soaring and
that at this moment farmers are planting more acres of corn than they
have in the last 50 years. Reporters writing about the ethanol boom
are throwing around words like gold rush, jackpot, and nirvana. But if
you actually are a farmer, ethanol and the high corn prices it brings
is looking less and less like a blessing -- and more like a curse."

Full article at:

http://alternet.org/environment/52073/

"We won't get fooled again"
Charlie

Yeah, mebbe.

Same old shell game. Get everybody hot about corn -- with the dire
consequences adumbrated above.

Meantime, under the *real* shell is -- are you ready?

HEMP!

Just Google keywords like "hemp as automobile fuel" and
you will be deluged with valuable information -- that you
jes' might want to share with your congress-critter.

Persephone

Old 27-05-2007, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Persephone
wrote:

On Sat, 26 May 2007 17:38:17 -0400, William Wagner
wrote:

To life, to love, to caring
Prost!

Prosit

What are you having?

- Bill
Old 27-05-2007, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 27 May 2007 12:40:50 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article , Persephone
wrote:

On Sat, 26 May 2007 17:38:17 -0400, William Wagner
wrote:

To life, to love, to caring
Prost!

Prosit

What are you having?

Actually, I favor a Dutch bier - Grolsch.

Don't turn me in to the Beck folks!

P.

- Bill

Old 27-05-2007, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Persephone
wrote:

On Sun, 27 May 2007 12:40:50 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

wrote:

To life, to love, to caring
Prost!

Prosit

What are you having?

Actually, I favor a Dutch bier - Grolsch.

Don't turn me in to the Beck folks!

P.

- Bill

Easy to see that you are comfortable German drinking songs. (Prosit,
nach hause geht wir nicht.) Does Grolsch still come with those reusable
ceramic tops with the rubber gasket? I usually drink California
micro-brews, German beers or, Guinness

- Bill
Old 28-05-2007, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 27 May 2007 19:27:41 -0500, Charlie wrote:

[...]

Waste of good hemp, if ya' ask me. Why turn it to oil? "Take a trip
and never leave the farm" says the old song. We studied all about
hemp back in the good old college days. **Lots** of us took the
Applied Pharmacology courses.

[...]
Sigh. Lordie me, another one equating hemp with pot.

Love to see him try to get high on hemp.

That fairy-tale (promulgated by oil companies, what else, in collusion
with 1930's govt. drug czar bureaucrat-busybodies) has kept hemp from
being utilized IN THE US for its many, many uses, from clothing to
sails to oils...you name it...these thousands of years...

Persephone

Old 28-05-2007, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 27 May 2007 15:44:41 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article , Persephone
wrote:

On Sun, 27 May 2007 12:40:50 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

wrote:

To life, to love, to caring
Prost!

Prosit

What are you having?

Actually, I favor a Dutch bier - Grolsch.

Don't turn me in to the Beck folks!

P.

- Bill

Easy to see that you are comfortable German drinking songs. (Prosit,
nach hause geh

tgehen

wir nicht.) Does Grolsch still come with those reusable
ceramic tops with the rubber gasket?

Not sure. I may have seen them in stores, but I usually
just buy 6 or larger packs. I do have an empty like that up in my
container cupboard.

I usually drink California
micro-brews, German beers or, Guinness

Watch that gut.

Persephone

- Bill

Old 28-05-2007, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 27 May 2007 21:40:53 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Sun, 27 May 2007 19:27:41 -0500, Charlie wrote:

[...]

Waste of good hemp, if ya' ask me. Why turn it to oil? "Take a trip
and never leave the farm" says the old song. We studied all about
hemp back in the good old college days. **Lots** of us took the
Applied Pharmacology courses.

[...]
Sigh. Lordie me, another one equating hemp with pot.

Love to see him try to get high on hemp.

That fairy-tale (promulgated by oil companies, what else, in collusion
with 1930's govt. drug czar bureaucrat-busybodies) has kept hemp from
being utilized IN THE US for its many, many uses, from clothing to
sails to oils...you name it...these thousands of years...

Persephone

Come now, my dear. It was a joke. I do know the difference and am
well aware of the history and uses of hemp.

In my part of the country, a major eradication program has gone on for
years, against wild hemp. One thing that it accomplished was
eliminating an important source of high energy food for quail and
other birds.

Please Be Careful with what you Assume
Charlie

Old 28-05-2007, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

puits s'est réuni, soeur

Uh, wells reunite themselves, sister?

A little oblique mon vieux. What the **** are you trying to say? What
ever it is I'll defend to the the death, your right to say it but what
is it?

Just a slight technical difficulty, Charlie and Bill will be right back
at you. Right? Is there any beer left?

Souvenez à frapper les pots.

- Guillaume
Old 28-05-2007, 06:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

Sigh. Lordie me, another one equating hemp with pot.

Charlie, I'm outta Zig Zags, you got any? Whaaaat?

- Wilhelm
Old 28-05-2007, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 27 May 2007 22:42:15 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

puits s'est réuni, soeur

Uh, wells reunite themselves, sister?

A little oblique mon vieux. What the **** are you trying to say? What
ever it is I'll defend to the the death, your right to say it but what
is it?

Good question, mate. Rule 3. After a few too many, STFU and read,
don't post.

Just a slight technical difficulty, Charlie and Bill will be right back
at you. Right? Is there any beer left?

I think that was the problem.... no beer left.

Souvenez à frapper les pots.

Not too loudly, thank ya very much. Charlie needs more coffee, the
annual family-male-bonding-fish-fest-thingie is about to launch.

Reminds me of a short story about brother-n-law and his native
american gardening trick.

More later.

- Guillaume

Care
Charlie

Old 28-05-2007, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

Souvenez à frapper les pots.

Not too loudly, thank ya very much. Charlie needs more coffee, the
annual family-male-bonding-fish-fest-thingie is about to launch.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall.

- Bill

[IMG] code is On

saving corn seed Loki Edible Gardening 30 09-03-2004 10:29 PM
saving corn seed Loki Edible Gardening 0 05-03-2004 06:13 AM
saving corn seed Loki Edible Gardening 0 05-03-2004 06:04 AM
Saving Daylily seeds? laurie \(Mother Mastiff\) North Carolina 1 24-07-2003 01:23 AM
saving seeds 127.0.0.1 Gardening 1 26-02-2003 03:39 PM