Old 25-05-2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cypress tree question

I just had some cypress trees dry out and die on my property. I was
told it was a root fungus, but who knows, because two other arborists
told me something completely different.

But I got to thinking, these particular trees I once had to water by
hand since the sprinklers weren't working for a while. And when I was
watering them, it wasn't just at the base, I was also spraying water
up into the tree itself, into the bark, etc.

Could it be that this somehow washed away a protective coating or
something that caused them to die?

Old 25-05-2007, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Most of your problem may have been troubles in the rhizosphere.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following:

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html and
Look up "Tree Planting"
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/index.html Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

oups.com...

Old 25-05-2007, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

The Space Boss wrote:

I just had some cypress trees dry out and die on my property. I was
told it was a root fungus, but who knows, because two other arborists
told me something completely different.

But I got to thinking, these particular trees I once had to water by
hand since the sprinklers weren't working for a while. And when I was
watering them, it wasn't just at the base, I was also spraying water
up into the tree itself, into the bark, etc.

Could it be that this somehow washed away a protective coating or
something that caused them to die?

I'm not an expert on cypress trees but most of the ones that live down
here in Louisiana grow along water courses and get beaucoup water all
year around. I would expect that they didn't get enough water where they
were.

George

Old 26-05-2007, 04:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 25, 1:18 pm, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message .com
from The Space Boss contains these words:

I just had some cypress trees dry out and die on my property. I was
told it was a root fungus, but who knows, because two other arborists
told me something completely different.
But I got to thinking, these particular trees I once had to water by
hand since the sprinklers weren't working for a while. And when I was
watering them, it wasn't just at the base, I was also spraying water
up into the tree itself, into the bark, etc.

Oh dear.

Could it be that this somehow washed away a protective coating or
something that caused them to die?

Undoubtedly. Back in the old times, trees' protective coating aka
"bark" could stand up to any amount of rain without getting washed off,
but these days God knows who is responsible for applying it..some bunch
of monkeys, probably.

Janet

Oh dear,
Janet, We are being naughty today, aren't We??
LOL
Emilie

Old 29-05-2007, 07:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 25, 2:18 pm, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

but these days God knows who is responsible for applying it..some bunch
of monkeys, probably.

Don't remember that episode.

Old 29-05-2007, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

but these days God knows who is responsible for applying it..some bunch
of monkeys, probably.

Don't remember that episode.

Ah, a senior moment, undoubtedly.
Wish I had thought of it. We do not
have garden monkeys.........a shame.
Emilie

Old 29-05-2007, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

but these days God knows who is responsible for applying it..some bunch
of monkeys, probably.

Don't remember that episode.

Ah, a senior moment, undoubtedly.
Wish I had thought of it. We do not
have garden monkeys.........a shame.
Emilie

Not a huge fan, but they were a major influence on the beatles.

Old 29-05-2007, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

but these days God knows who is responsible for applying it..some bunch
of monkeys, probably.

Don't remember that episode.

Ah, a senior moment, undoubtedly.
Wish I had thought of it. We do not
have garden monkeys.........a shame.
Emilie

Not a huge fan, but they were a major influence on the beatles.

Hey, hey we're the Monkees.............
I don't remember that they did too many Garden Gigs,
but maybe they moonlighted applying defective bark.

your question: I don't think anyone asked what kind of
Cypress or what location ? How old?

Emilie

[IMG] code is On

leyland cypress HI HI- Gardening 0 24-03-2003 12:20 AM
Can anyone identify this shrub/tree? Cypress-like leaves, yellow daisy flowers. Cynthia Snowden United Kingdom 2 05-03-2003 03:11 PM
Pruning Bald Cypress seedlings Steve Payne Bonsai 0 04-03-2003 12:07 AM
[IBC] Leylandii Cypress Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 10:55 PM
Leylandii Cypress ss Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 09:25 PM