Old 30-05-2007, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Want to know why the honeybees are dying

On May 29, 12:38 pm, Bill Rose wrote:
In article

.net,
William Wagner wrote:

http://entomology.ucdavis.edu/faculty/mussen/news.cfm

Thanks

- Bill

Thank you for the link to Dr. Mussen. Salon.com published a panel
discussion including Dr. Mussen. Interesting reading as the panelists
parse through the various theories and media reports.

You can read it he http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20.../missing_bees/

As for the poster who wrote about feeling dirty about Bayer -- Bayer
AG is a longtime purveyor of death including developing and
experimenting the use of mustard gas and other chemicals on inmates in
Germany during WWI and WWII, so anytime you use any of their products
you are supporting a company that, unlike a number of other German
companies, has never apologized to anyone. (I learned this in grade
school during the 60's as we were encouraged not to use any Bayer
products.) For a basic history of Bayer's misdeeds, go to
http://archive.corporatewatch.org/pr...yer/bayer5.htm

Old 30-05-2007, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 30 May 2007 07:48:07 -0700, Tony Vassallo
wrote:

As for the poster who wrote about feeling dirty about Bayer -- Bayer
AG is a longtime purveyor of death including developing and
experimenting the use of mustard gas and other chemicals on inmates in
Germany during WWI and WWII, so anytime you use any of their products
you are supporting a company that, unlike a number of other German
companies, has never apologized to anyone. (I learned this in grade
school during the 60's as we were encouraged not to use any Bayer
products.) For a basic history of Bayer's misdeeds, go to
http://archive.corporatewatch.org/pr...yer/bayer5.htm

That would have been me. I wish I had learned this *before* I started
with them, rather than learning it on the job. I grew up with the
Dupont "Better Living Through Chemistry" school of thought and
teaching.

Corp Watch is a good reference and I use it often, when making
decisions about products. It is sad, and maddening, that it takes so
much research to make informed and responsible purchasing decisions.
We oftimes think we are about to make a responsible choice, but when
you go to digging around, you sometimes encounter the darkness, several
layers deep, in the corporate structure.

Yet, general awareness *seems* to be increasing, thanks to the efforts
of people who are beginning to bang a few pots. Around these here
parts, even the generation older than I, the true old geezers, are
starting to fart in the general direction of the crooked bastids.

Care
Charlie
Old 31-05-2007, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

On May 29, 12:20 pm, mleblanca wrote:

Take a look at the March/April 2007 issue.

http://entomology.ucdavis.edu/faculty/mussen/news.cfm

Thanks for that, Bill, very interesting and informative.

Also recommended:
More from Mussen, plus 3 other pros:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20.../missing_bees/

[IMG] code is On

What Good Is All The Clover Without European Honeybees? Way Back Jack Gardening 1 04-06-2010 01:07 AM
Honeybees!!! cat daddy Texas 21 27-07-2007 03:15 AM
For all interested in honeybees Mary Fisher United Kingdom 23 18-04-2004 05:47 AM
Honeybees sighted! ( Zucchini Problem) Phaedrine Stonebridge Edible Gardening 9 31-07-2003 06:03 AM
dying plants, and I don't know why Trooper Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:12 AM