Old 29-05-2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Any weeds that you kind of like and let grow for a while?

Bill Rose wrote in news:rosefam-1CEDE6.09573329052007
@cor8-ppp5025.per.dsl.connect.net.au:

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

Just make sure you have Prunella Vulgaris and not Henbit. Henbit we
gotz; Prunella... not so much.

I do love brevity but for the perverseness of it all, could you expand
on your banter?

Which part needs 'splaining, Willis?

Count on me, the all too common man, to have "Vulgaris".
How's that itch coming along, anyway?
- Bill

Okay, now I don't know if you post was part jest or all jest. Please
clarify. Be brief.
Old 29-05-2007, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

And I went searching for them this spring. Nary one to be found. I always
was able to find them when I was working but now that I have spare time they
went into hiding. Unless it was the odd spring we had this year.

--

BetsyB

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
For me, it's the johnny jump-ups trying to take over my vegetable garden.
I pull up a few that are unavoidably in the way, but mostly I work around
them -- at least until they've set seeds for next year.

When I first moved up here I thought violets were cute. I even dug a few
up from the lawn and put them in the flower beds! Little did I realize
how evil they are. Now I can't get rid of them.

Bob

Old 29-05-2007, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
For me, it's the johnny jump-ups trying to take over my vegetable garden.
I pull up a few that are unavoidably in the way, but mostly I work around
them -- at least until they've set seeds for next year.

When I first moved up here I thought violets were cute. I even dug a few
up from the lawn and put them in the flower beds! Little did I realize
how evil they are. Now I can't get rid of them.

Bob

Beaurtiful wild purple Dame's Rocket.

Old 30-05-2007, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:

Just make sure you have Prunella Vulgaris and not Henbit. Henbit we
gotz; Prunella... not so much.

I do love brevity but for the perverseness of it all, could you expand
on your banter?

Which part needs 'splaining, Willis?

Count on me, the all too common man, to have "Vulgaris".
How's that itch coming along, anyway?
- Bill

Okay, now I don't know if you post was part jest or all jest. Please
clarify. Be brief.

There you go again. Gettin' all up in a hurry. When are people going to
learn to slowdown and smell the flowers? All I was inquiring about, was
actual experience with Prunella ("self-heal"). At some point you let
fall that you occasionally worked at a nursery or some such. So I put 2
and 2 together and got 22. So what your saying is that there isn't much
prunella (wild I presume) where you are. That's it? OK. OK, if you think
of somethin', you know where "Willis" be. Now I'd like to do my
rendition of "Casey at the Bat". The outlook was extremely gloomy for
the Mudville nine that day . . . . . . .

- Bill
Old 30-05-2007, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

zxcvbob wrote:
For me, it's the johnny jump-ups trying to take over my vegetable
garden. I pull up a few that are unavoidably in the way, but mostly I
work around them -- at least until they've set seeds for next year.

When I first moved up here I thought violets were cute. I even dug a
few up from the lawn and put them in the flower beds! Little did I
realize how evil they are. Now I can't get rid of them.

Bob

A "volunteer" plant is merely a weed that is interesting.

I had a fig tree volunteer in my back yard. I tended it for several
years, but it never had any fruit. I finally had it removed. Then I
fought root suckers from it for about two years.

I found a palm seedling (Washingtonia filifera) in one of my flower
beds. Although I really don't like palms in my landscape, I was curious
as to how it might grow. I dug it up and put it in a flower pot.
Several years later, it's still in its pot on my front walkway.

Once, when I was still trying to have a dichondra lawn in back, I had
the lawn renovated. The soil amendment was contaminated with cinquefoil
(Potentilla neumanniana). I now have cinquefoil in most of by back yard
beds. It seems to cover the bare spots where nothing else will grow and
looks nice year round. Now I'm trying to get it to grow in the parkway
in front, planting cuttings from the back yard.

The number-one weed in my garden are the seedlings from my evergreen ash
(Fraxinus uhdei). See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_back.html#tree. No, I will NOT
let these grow for a while. A four-inch seedling can have a 10-inch tap
root. The 10-foot sapling (about 1-1/2 inches in diameter) that I
planted 30+ years ago now towers twice the height of my two-story house
and has a trunk almost three feet in diameter (more than nine feet in
circumference). Some of its surface roots are more than three inches in
diameter; some have grown up under my sprinkler lines and cracked them.
I love the shade of The Tree; but no, I certainly would not let these
weeds (its babies) grow for a while.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 30-05-2007, 11:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"David E. Ross" expounded:

A "volunteer" plant is merely a weed that is interesting.

That is not true. Dill isn't a weed, nor are poppies, or larkspur,
nigella, borage, I could go on and on. A volunteer plant self-seeds.
It's up to the gardener to decide whether to keep it there, move it or
toss it. It's only a weed if you don't want it at all.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 30-05-2007, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

hollyhocks. they are toooo big for my yard but I love them. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 30-05-2007, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 30, 3:26 am, Ann wrote:
"David E. Ross" expounded:

A "volunteer" plant is merely a weed that is interesting.

That is not true. Dill isn't a weed, nor are poppies, or larkspur,
nigella, borage, I could go on and on. A volunteer plant self-seeds.
It's up to the gardener to decide whether to keep it there, move it or
toss it. It's only a weed if you don't want it at all.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************

Another exception is the volunteer potato which some people treat as a
blessing and others fear due to the possibility of blight deriving
from the potato and spreading to other herbs. In agriculture
volunteer potatoes are removed sometimes by hand pulling to reduce the
threat of blight when other crops are rotated with the potatoes such
as onions, carrots and sugar beats, for example. There are not too
many volunteer potato pullers and suitable weeders and weeder tools
are hard to find, unless you know where to look.

-----
At peace with volunteer plants...and weeds...

Old 31-05-2007, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

-- Blue Porterweed
-- Red Porterweed
-- Beautyberry

I not only let them "grow for a while" I now prune them into shape and have
incorporated them into the garden --

Old 31-05-2007, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

what is especially cool about them is not knowing what color they will be. I think I
only have 3 squished into the side yard. Ingrid

Ann wrote:

expounded:

hollyhocks. they are toooo big for my yard but I love them. Ingrid

Yep, forgot about them, I was trying to come up with that list before
I had my morning tea! )

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 01-06-2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gardening in San Jose, California (USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 16).

I try to accommodate plants which:

1) I identify as being native to my area,
2) Produce something edible, or
3) Offer services to beneficial insects.

In category 1, my garden serves up Epilobium ciliatum every year.
It's a small, unobtrusive, native annual.

In category 2, I have purslane (Portulaca oleracea). It covers every
open spot in my vegetable garden area, as it enjoys high heat and
moisture. I enjoy making stews and salads from purslane!

In category 3, I have sweet alyssum (species uncertain, but I think
it's Lobularia maritima). Syrphid flies love this plant, and syrphid
flies control many pest insects. Alyssum is an escaped ornamental
plant. If I lived close to wild land, I might have to pull it out.
But I'm pretty deep in the suburbs, so I let it stay.

| Ladasky Home Solar, Inc.: blowing sunshine up your |
| power grid since March 24, 2005. Fiat lux! |
| Uptime Downtime kWh generated kWh consumed |
| 793.5 days 13 hours 14021 15248 |