Old 29-05-2007, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Any weeds that you kind of like and let grow for a while?

For me, it's the johnny jump-ups trying to take over my vegetable
garden. I pull up a few that are unavoidably in the way, but mostly I
work around them -- at least until they've set seeds for next year.

When I first moved up here I thought violets were cute. I even dug a
few up from the lawn and put them in the flower beds! Little did I
realize how evil they are. Now I can't get rid of them.

Bob
Old 29-05-2007, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 28, 9:52 pm, zxcvbob wrote:
For me, it's the johnny jump-ups trying to take over my vegetable
garden. I pull up a few that are unavoidably in the way, but mostly I
work around them -- at least until they've set seeds for next year.

When I first moved up here I thought violets were cute. I even dug a
few up from the lawn and put them in the flower beds! Little did I
realize how evil they are. Now I can't get rid of them.

Bob

Oh yeah, I like the JJU too. It's not really weedy here, 'cause when
the
blast furnace of summer starts, it's a goner.
I like violets and have some white, pink, small fragrant and large
purple.

Also I let creeping Veronica, V. repens, stay because butterfly larva
enjoy it. So they actually remove it for me by eating it.

The biggest weed I let stay around is Wooly Mullein, Verbascum
thapsus,
I love the huge leaves, and the neighbors all believe my story that
it's a
very expensive exotic plant!! Have to remember to remove the flower
stalk
before it sets seed........

Emilie
NorCal zone 8b

Old 29-05-2007, 06:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 28 May 2007 23:52:15 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

For me, it's the johnny jump-ups trying to take over my vegetable
garden. I pull up a few that are unavoidably in the way, but mostly I
work around them -- at least until they've set seeds for next year.

When I first moved up here I thought violets were cute. I even dug a
few up from the lawn and put them in the flower beds! Little did I
realize how evil they are. Now I can't get rid of them.

Bob

Dandelions, the flowers don't go to seed, because we eats 'em. In
salads, sauteed, etc. Bees loves 'em too!

We also eats the leaves.

The French have an appropriate name for this "weed".

****enlit. Go figger.

Careful, Evening Salads May Disturb Your Sleep
Charlie
Old 29-05-2007, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

For me, it's the johnny jump-ups trying to take over my vegetable
garden. I pull up a few that are unavoidably in the way, but mostly I
work around them -- at least until they've set seeds for next year.

When I first moved up here I thought violets were cute. I even dug a
few up from the lawn and put them in the flower beds! Little did I
realize how evil they are. Now I can't get rid of them.

Bob

Dandelions, the flowers don't go to seed, because we eats 'em. In
salads, sauteed, etc. Bees loves 'em too!

We also eats the leaves.

The French have an appropriate name for this "weed".

****enlit. Go figger.

Careful, Evening Salads May Disturb Your Sleep
Charlie

Good source of potassium, vitamin C & A too. Mild diuretic if you BP is
creeping up on you. Help make poor land rich, if you have the time.

Charlie, ever mess around with prunnela. The plant that is. (Don't want
to get you in hot water with the missus.) Understand she, it!, is good
for hypertension, among other things. I'm going to be 'sperimenting with
it and just wondered if you had any o'pins.

- Bill
Old 29-05-2007, 07:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I gotta get my eyes checked. I read that and thought I saw "creeping
charlie". (I hate creeping charlie more than all the other weeds)

Bob

Old 29-05-2007, 07:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

The name threw me so I looked it up... I know it as self-heal and yes I
have grown it. I wasn't aware of the hypotensive properties. We grew
it for it wound healing properties and I do believe it aided in such.
We would smoosh the leaves and apply to scratches, abrasions, etc and
felt it helped. They healed faster and with less inflammation.
Course, you know the old standard disclaimer applies here. ;-)

I assume your info came from pfaf and I checked there too.

Pulled up this old info from M. Grieve, a rather neat publication and
useful.

http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/s/selfhe40.html

Ya' know, folks have been eating and using many herbs for a long, long
time. 'Tis only recently that man began capitalizing on the quick fix.

Maybe the old saying, "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger" should
apply to herbal therapy!

Go for it

Charlie
Old 29-05-2007, 11:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill Rose wrote in news:rosefam-8AED51.23075028052007
@cor8-ppp5025.per.dsl.connect.net.au:

wrote:

[...]

Just make sure you have Prunella Vulgaris and not Henbit. Henbit we
gotz; Prunella... not so much.
Old 29-05-2007, 11:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

For me, it's the johnny jump-ups trying to take over my vegetable
garden. I pull up a few that are unavoidably in the way, but mostly I
work around them -- at least until they've set seeds for next year.

When I first moved up here I thought violets were cute. I even dug a
few up from the lawn and put them in the flower beds! Little did I
realize how evil they are. Now I can't get rid of them.

Bob

Aquilegia Canadensis. Wild Alaskan Columbine. Boy, what a
weed! It self-sows to beat the band. It the proper setting,
it's teriffic. I made the mistake of planting one in the
flowerbed here in front of the office window a few years
back -- now it's all over the frigging place. I dig up clumps
every spring and foist them off on the neighbors.

Being frugal people, we dig up lots of native plants and
bring them home. That's not always a good idea.

But I did just discover that I can graft pear scionwood
to the native Mountain Ash that's in my yard. Having native
rootstock is a pretty hot deal at my latitude.

Jan in Alaska
59N, 151W

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.
Old 29-05-2007, 11:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

mleblanca wrote in news:1180415326.055470.156210
@p47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

[...]

How did you get your original Mullein into the garden? I want some but,
IIRC, it doesn't transplant well from field. Did you just seed it and
wait?

In the herb garden where I work sometimes, people always stop at the
Mullein and go, "Ew, what's THAT doing here?"

Old 29-05-2007, 12:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in
6.121:

zxcvbob was forced to post this in: rec.gardens

For me, it's the johnny jump-ups trying to take over my vegetable
garden. I pull up a few that are unavoidably in the way, but mostly
I work around them -- at least until they've set seeds for next year.

When I first moved up here I thought violets were cute. I even dug a
few up from the lawn and put them in the flower beds! Little did I
realize how evil they are. Now I can't get rid of them.

I don't really like it but I'm amazed by it's growth. I have no idea
what the real name of it is but my neighbors call it stink weed.
Sometimes I let it grow just to see how bit it will get. Digging it
out is a bite though. The root system grows very deep. Yes, violets
are evil.

Michael

:::shakes fist at the Violet haters again::::

:P~
Old 29-05-2007, 05:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

Just make sure you have Prunella Vulgaris and not Henbit. Henbit we
gotz; Prunella... not so much.

I do love brevity but for the perverseness of it all, could you expand
on your banter? Count on me, the all too common man, to have "Vulgaris".
How's that itch coming along, anyway?
- Bill
Old 29-05-2007, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 29, 3:34 am, FragileWarrior
wrote:
mleblanca wrote in news:1180415326.055470.156210
@p47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

The biggest weed I let stay around is Wooly Mullein, Verbascum
thapsus,
I love the huge leaves, and the neighbors all believe my story that
it's a
very expensive exotic plant!! Have to remember to remove the flower
stalk
before it sets seed........

Emilie
NorCal zone 8b

How did you get your original Mullein into the garden? I want some but,
IIRC, it doesn't transplant well from field. Did you just seed it and
wait?

In the herb garden where I work sometimes, people always stop at the
Mullein and go, "Ew, what's THAT doing here?"

That's been a long time ago. I know I got it from my mother's yard.
I think that if you get it when it's quite small, before that big ol'
tap
root develops, and pop it immediately into a pot and water it that
you can transplant it ok. Keep it in the pot in the shade for awhile.

(Seems like that's what I did) Nice that it's a biennial, so no
worries about flowers for a year.
Good luck with it

Emilie

Old 29-05-2007, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Charlie has been a lot of things but the only time he gets "creepy" is
when he is trying to smuggle a new plant into his backyard.
- Bill
Old 29-05-2007, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 29 May 2007 01:17:11 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

I gotta get my eyes checked. I read that and thought I saw "creeping
charlie". (I hate creeping charlie more than all the other weeds)

Bob

WTF?? I thought only my wife caught me at that!!
Unfortunately I do resemble that remark.

Gotta be more careful
CHarlie