Old 08-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Registered User

Location: England
Default Red blueberry leaves and a black powder on the edge of sunflower leaves.

Hello,

I have three blueberry plants and a few sunflowers growing. They are all growing in pots, but the sunflowers are kept outside, and the blueberries are now indoors after being left outside for a while.

The sunflowers have started to have a grey-black powder at the edge of their leaves. Not all, but I broke them off and am hoping it won't come back.

Two of the blueberries started having reddish-brown leaves, which don't seem to have worsened since I took them inside. However, the plant which did not develop these leaves has just developed two small bright red leaves.

Please excuse the photo quality!

Here is the blueberry with the bright red leaf:

These are the browny-red marked leaves:

As for the grey-black powdery substance on the edge of the sunflower leaves, I threw the leaves in the bin. One has it very slightly, but not enough for it to show up on this camera.

Thank you.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 13:30:04 +0000, BlackThumb
wrote:

Hello,

I have three blueberry plants and a few sunflowers growing. They are all
growing in pots, but the sunflowers are kept outside, and the
blueberries are now indoors after being left outside for a while.

The sunflowers have started to have a grey-black powder at the edge of
their leaves. Not all, but I broke them off and am hoping it won't come
back.

Two of the blueberries started having reddish-brown leaves, which don't
seem to have worsened since I took them inside. However, the plant which
did not develop these leaves has just developed two small bright red
leaves.

Please excuse the photo quality!

Here is the blueberry with the bright red leaf:

'[image:
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/5547/photoon08062012at1408.th.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/7b27azn)

These are the browny-red marked leaves:

'[image:
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5650/photoon08062012at14093.th.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/7a6ukdo)

'[image:
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6815/photoon08062012at1410.th.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/c4mk3e3)

As for the grey-black powdery substance on the edge of the sunflower
leaves, I threw the leaves in the bin. One has it very slightly, but not
enough for it to show up on this camera.

Thank you.

I've many blueberries, and that overall reddish tone is what they
exhibit in late fall as they are about to drop their leaves.

Still, the spots may be more problematic and have something to do with
the change from outdoors to indoors, nutrition or watering..

As someone who grows many plants in tubs and large containers and does
so "out of climate," necessitating bringing them in for protection
over the winter, I must inquire as to why the blueberries are being
taken inside this time of year. If your sunflowers can survive
outdoors in June, your blueberries should, too.

Can you give more background, please?

Boron
Old 08-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Registered User

Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boron Elgar[_2_] View Post
wrote:

Hello,

I have three blueberry plants and a few sunflowers growing. They are all
growing in pots, but the sunflowers are kept outside, and the
blueberries are now indoors after being left outside for a while.

The sunflowers have started to have a grey-black powder at the edge of
their leaves. Not all, but I broke them off and am hoping it won't come
back.

Two of the blueberries started having reddish-brown leaves, which don't
seem to have worsened since I took them inside. However, the plant which
did not develop these leaves has just developed two small bright red
leaves.

Please excuse the photo quality!

Here is the blueberry with the bright red leaf:

'[image:
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/5547/photoon08062012at1408.th.jpg]'
(
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting)

[...]

Thank you for your reply!

I got the blueberries delivered from an online plant shop (Thompson and Morgan. They're reputable). They were healthy until I put them outside. I then brought them indoors when I noticed that two of them had started going reddish.

A few days were hot and I watered them when the soil felt dry, then the weather became more wet, so I stopped watering them.

I'm not sure if that's the sort of information you wanted.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered User

Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackThumb View Post
Thank you for your reply!

I got the blueberries delivered from an online plant shop (Thompson and Morgan. They're reputable). They were healthy until I put them outside. I then brought them indoors when I noticed that two of them had started going reddish.

A few days were hot and I watered them when the soil felt dry, then the weather became more wet, so I stopped watering them.

I'm not sure if that's the sort of information you wanted.
As for the sunflowers, the grey/black keeps coming back on the edge of the leaves. I don't know if it's a pest for a fungi, so was going to buy a pesticide that kills fungi as well, but I don't like the idea of using pesticides.

I've been searching online for safe ways to kill pesticides and fungi, but they're all for specific problems, and I don't know what's causing it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 22:05:30 +0000, BlackThumb
wrote:

I got the blueberries delivered from an online plant shop (Thompson and
Morgan. They're reputable). They were healthy until I put them outside.
I then brought them indoors when I noticed that two of them had started
going reddish.

Blueberries are generally outdoor plants. There are different
varieties for different climates, though. Did you order ones
appropriate for where you live? Do you plan on planting them in the
ground?

A few days were hot and I watered them when the soil felt dry, then the
weather became more wet, so I stopped watering them.

I'm not sure if that's the sort of information you wanted.

It is always dicey to diagnose online...there can be many variables
involved.