Old 02-06-2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Worm question

When I was working by the pond today I noticed a worm(well I think it's a
worm). But it wasn't your regular earthworm. It was VERY skinny and black.
Like the size of a thick horsehair. I wouldn't have known it was a worm if
it hadn't of been moving around like worms do. Anyone have any ideas what
kind of worm it is, and if it's a bad one? I put it in an old coffee can
with some wet dirt because if it was a bad worm, I don't want it
'contaminating' anything, and it's a good worm, I don't wanna kill it.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in
link.net:

When I was working by the pond today I noticed a worm(well I think
it's a worm). But it wasn't your regular earthworm. It was VERY
skinny and black. Like the size of a thick horsehair. I wouldn't have
known it was a worm if it hadn't of been moving around like worms do.
Anyone have any ideas what kind of worm it is, and if it's a bad one?
I put it in an old coffee can with some wet dirt because if it was a
bad worm, I don't want it 'contaminating' anything, and it's a good
worm, I don't wanna kill it.

There are bad worms???
Old 03-06-2007, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

There are bad worms???

Medically speaking, yes. Though as I briefly mentioned, I'm not sure if what
I found even was a worm, or something else in an early stage of its life
cycle. I'm used to earthworms being kinda plump and pinkish/somewhat
see-through, not this thin and black.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Lilah Morgan said:

When I was working by the pond today I noticed a worm(well I think it's a
worm). But it wasn't your regular earthworm. It was VERY skinny and

black.
Like the size of a thick horsehair. I wouldn't have known it was a worm if
it hadn't of been moving around like worms do. Anyone have any ideas

what
kind of worm it is, and if it's a bad one? I put it in an old coffee can
with some wet dirt because if it was a bad worm, I don't want it
'contaminating' anything, and it's a good worm, I don't wanna kill it.

This is probably a horsehair worm, a good-guy. They are parasites of
grasshoppers, crickets, etc. Go ahead and put it back where you found it!

http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/inhsreports...r95/page4.html
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7471.html

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 03-06-2007, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
. ..
Lilah Morgan said:

This is probably a horsehair worm, a good-guy. They are parasites of
grasshoppers, crickets, etc. Go ahead and put it back where you found

it!

http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/inhsreports...r95/page4.html
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7471.html

(attributed to Don Marti)

*looks at picture*...yeah that looks like it. That's a relief, and explains
why it was by the pond...now I'll just have to cover it with some dirt when
I put it back so the chickens/geese don't eat it. Thank you.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Registered User

Hi There
I am new to worm farming and i didnt know where to start but just wanted to give it a go. So thought i would have a search around the internet to see what info was available and couldnt really find much! However i did find a really great book to download which was incredibly informative and really easy to read. Now I am so excited as i have a better understanding as a complete novice and i highly recommend it to anyone starting out.
I found it under this website: Beginners Guide to Starting a Worm Farm

would appreciate any further advice from anyone.

Allotment Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilah Morgan View Post
When I was working by the pond today I noticed a worm(well I think it's a
worm). But it wasn't your regular earthworm. It was VERY skinny and black.
Like the size of a thick horsehair. I wouldn't have known it was a worm if
it hadn't of been moving around like worms do. Anyone have any ideas what
kind of worm it is, and if it's a bad one? I put it in an old coffee can
with some wet dirt because if it was a bad worm, I don't want it
'contaminating' anything, and it's a good worm, I don't wanna kill it.

[IMG] code is On

Do Earth worm castings contain worm egg Wylie Wilde Gardening 8 08-03-2011 08:21 PM
Do Worm castings contain worm eggs? Wylie Wilde Australia 11 08-03-2011 08:20 PM
worm bed/ composting question Hope Australia 10 02-05-2005 12:34 AM
worm question Pond Diver Ponds 5 22-07-2004 11:02 PM
worm question Pond Diver Ponds 0 22-07-2004 07:58 PM