Old 04-06-2007, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Low tech plant supports

I wasted time running around (or rather bussing around, as I have
parked my car due to high insurance/gas charges) to various homeowner
and garden places looking for bamboo stakes for my delicious and
high-yielding snow pea bushes.

Then a light went on over my head. Why not just cut down some
of my too-many bamboo stalks and use them?

Done!

Embarrassing when it takes forever to think outside the box!

Persephone
Old 04-06-2007, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Persephone
wrote:

I wasted time running around (or rather bussing around, as I have
parked my car due to high insurance/gas charges) to various homeowner
and garden places looking for bamboo stakes for my delicious and
high-yielding snow pea bushes.

Then a light went on over my head. Why not just cut down some
of my too-many bamboo stalks and use them?

Done!

Embarrassing when it takes forever to think outside the box!

Persephone

I've started to use our bamboo as plant protectors for when I drag my
hose around the garden. I stick them around a bed and the hose will
slide along the. They are certainly better than the expensive and easily
damageable plastic posts that I bought at the Home Despot. I bought
rubber caps from the local hardware store to put on their tops, in case
some one should fall on them. I've snapped a few by wrapping the hose
around them but I haven't lost any plants because of the hose.

- Billy
Old 04-06-2007, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 19:36:37 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article , Persephone
wrote:

[...]

Heh heh......I'm glad I'm not the only one who *thought* those plastic
thingies looked obeekaybee.

Charlie
Old 04-06-2007, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

I read somewhere you can take 2- 12" terra cotta pots and turn the bottom
one upside down, place the second on top right side up and stick a piece of
rebar in the holes. Makes a perfect hose guide. I don't think the bamboo is
strong enuf.

--

BetsyB

Old 04-06-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"betsyb" wrote:

I read somewhere you can take 2- 12" terra cotta pots and turn the bottom
one upside down, place the second on top right side up and stick a piece of
rebar in the holes. Makes a perfect hose guide. I don't think the bamboo is
strong enuf.

--

Oh, I don't do any fancy corners or anything. I just want to keep the
hose off the strawberries for the most part. Most of the major plants

I could just use the rebar but the bamboo looks better. I save the rebar
for spots in the fence where the "Hounds from Hell" used to regularly
break-out. They are "Homies" at last.

Gotta flutter,
- Billy

BetsyB

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
In article , Persephone
wrote:

(whack)
Then a light went on over my head. Why not just cut down some
of my too-many bamboo stalks and use them?

Done!

Embarrassing when it takes forever to think outside the box!

Persephone

I've started to use our bamboo as plant protectors for when I drag my
hose around the garden. I stick them around a bed and the hose will
slide along them. They are certainly better than the expensive and easily

Old 07-06-2007, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote:
I wasted time running around (or rather bussing around, as I have
parked my car due to high insurance/gas charges) to various homeowner
and garden places looking for bamboo stakes for my delicious and
high-yielding snow pea bushes.

Then a light went on over my head. Why not just cut down some
of my too-many bamboo stalks and use them?

Done!

I have far too many saplings growing in the woods near my garden, so I
cut some of them for supports for delphiniums, etc. They look much nicer
than the green plastic sticks.
Old 16-06-2007, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Then a light went on over my head. Why not just cut down some
of my too-many bamboo stalks and use them?

We've done some of that, but we found that something was boring little
holes in the bamboo (and making sawdust).

I've read that the commercial bamboo is (a) very dry, and/or (b)
treated with something.

I like the bamboo stakes, and we have a few that we kept for the
garden, but especially for right near/inside the house, we didn't want
to risk attracting critters which might cause more trouble if they
started munching something besides the bamboo.