Old 05-06-2007, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
BE BE is offline

Default Tree problem?

Howdy all, got a small problem here. Seems that my sugar maple (?) has a
dead/dying branch/trunk. This south facing branch has broken and dried
bark. The upper off shoots and leaves are almost non existent leaving a
somewhat open area now.

Should I just cut the branch off below the visible problem area or, cut even
lower? Or, call a tree expert. This tree gives us some much needed shade
in an otherwise sunny yard and it is much beloved by my wife. It's always
been a very full tree, still is except for the dying branch?

All feedback welcome.
Pics he http://www.pbase.com/hiker/tree

Old 06-06-2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

BE,

You can try cutting it just below the problem area. Cut it just above a branch
that is
growing out in the direction you want the new branch to take. If this is a
borer problem or even something in the root system, the entire branch and
possibly the
tree, will go. If the branch broke first, and then it died back, then this is
something
that possibly won't spread. If however, the branch broke after it started to
die back,
then whatever was killing it may spread.

Sherwin D.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following:

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html and
Look up "Tree Planting"
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/index.html Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message news:n-
Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/

I just recently read this. Read it before you prune. It's good.

Bob

Old 07-06-2007, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
BE BE is offline

Thanks all...

[IMG] code is On

Dig up tree root from large Cedar tree without Killing Tree? Albert[_4_] Gardening 8 12-08-2008 01:37 PM
A Buxus Problem, and a Pelargonium problem :-( ZoeM United Kingdom 11 18-07-2008 09:08 AM
Pecan tree problem... Gene S Texas 2 23-04-2003 05:56 AM
Peach tree - too much (!) fruit ---- I too have this problem. Ace Edible Gardening 1 16-04-2003 04:44 PM
A problem with Pin Oak Tree galls... Help!! ABC Gardening 1 09-04-2003 12:56 AM